• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched the penultimate episode of The Expanse. I've gotta say, the pacing of the season so far doesn't seem any different than previous seasons. It feels like we should have another 4-5 episodes, not just one. I don't see how they're going to wrap everything up satisfactorily, even if the last episode is supposed to be something like 75 minutes long.

Agree 100%

My beef is with a 6 episode final season, why are they spending so much time with the girl and magic dogs on Laconia?
Seems really late in the game to spend that much screen time on new characters.

I am also scratching my head at what seems like the setup for a new storyline.

Unless they're setting up for a new Laconia series?

But yeah, some of the choices don't make a lot of sense to me. The X-Ray bonus content is cool, though.

What is this X-Ray bonus you speak of?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My beef is with a 6 episode final season, why are they spending so much time with the girl and magic dogs on Laconia?
Seems really late in the game to spend that much screen time on new characters.

For me these are the best parts of this season. I can see why the books jump forward 30 years after the end of this part, and why there is going to be an indefinite hiatus in the show. Marco Inaros is a really dull character* and this season so far seems to have been mostly treading water waiting for the last episode when something finally happens.

*I also can't help laughing at him because he looks like a junior member of Adam and the Ants - maybe they should have gone all in and given him proper 'dandy highwayman' make-up.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this X-Ray bonus you speak of?
When you're watching an episode, swipe up- this brings up the progress bar. Swipe up again, and it brings up the X-ray section, which has info on characters, actors, scene selection, trivia, and bonus content. Click on the Bonus section and it will give you production stills, behind the scenes pics, and a series of five extra videos. They're short, maybe five minutes or so, but they're interesting little character studies. I particularly enjoyed the last two. Note- this only works if you're watching on a cell phone or a computer, not streaming through a service like Apple TV. Apparently Amazon hasn't released it for all services yet.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're watching an episode, swipe up- this brings up the progress bar. Swipe up again, and it brings up the X-ray section, which has info on characters, actors, scene selection, trivia, and bonus content. Click on the Bonus section and it will give you production stills, behind the scenes pics, and a series of five extra videos. They're short, maybe five minutes or so, but they're interesting little character studies. I particularly enjoyed the last two. Note- this only works if you're watching on a cell phone or a computer, not streaming through a service like Apple TV. Apparently Amazon hasn't released it for all services yet.

Thanks!

Im usually watching on a Samsung smart tv, I’ll take a look. If they’re not there, I’ll try casting from my phone.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're watching an episode, swipe up- this brings up the progress bar. Swipe up again, and it brings up the X-ray section, which has info on characters, actors, scene selection, trivia, and bonus content. Click on the Bonus section and it will give you production stills, behind the scenes pics, and a series of five extra videos. They're short, maybe five minutes or so, but they're interesting little character studies. I particularly enjoyed the last two.

Thanks for this. We just watched them all, and I think they are better than most of the actual episodes in this series so far. I was wondering if they could have included them - but I think not these and the Laconia story.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Promise a French crime drama split into two time streams 20 years apart one where the perp is let loose due to Police in action and the second where the perp is still at, this time being hunted by the detectives daughter. Watched two episodes last night and found it to be taunt, well acted and holds your attention. For Oz members its on SBS On Demand.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Promise a French crime drama split into two time streams 20 years apart one where the perp is let loose due to Police in action and the second where the perp is still at, this time being hunted by the detectives daughter. Watched two episodes last night and found it to be taunt, well acted and holds your attention. For Oz members its on SBS On Demand.

Spooky, we started watching it as well last night. Must have been the prompt in the SBS direct mail.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just watched the recent BBC version of The War of the Worlds:

MV5BODU4ZWMwNWQtNGViNy00ZWU0LWJjMDQtNGQ4ZTcxN2ZjZDk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Unfortunately, it was disappointing. The first episode was good, and the first part of the second episode had some good scenes, but then it went downhill. The whole thing became rather garbled and started jumping around in time. I think it would have been better if they had simply stuck with a linear narrative.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided it was time to give Band of Brothers a try

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last slightly extended episode of The Expanse was, surprisingly, quite well-paced and while it was far from the best episode, it did the job.

I'd really like to see them come back from a new series that takes up the story in 30 years, as the books do from here... the showrunners have said it's not impossible, but that there will be a break now regardless.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last slightly extended episode of The Expanse was, surprisingly, quite well-paced and while it was far from the best episode, it did the job.

I'd really like to see them come back from a new series that takes up the story in 30 years, as the books do from here... the showrunners have said it's not impossible, but that there will be a break now regardless.
It was good, but it makes the magic dog story inclusion all the more head scratching. I realize it was part of a novella, but it added nothing since the Laconia story wasn't going anywhere unless they renewed for more seasons.
I would have rather had more stuff with the core characters.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was good, but it makes the magic dog story inclusion all the more head scratching. I realize it was part of a novella, but it added nothing since the Laconia story wasn't going anywhere unless they renewed for more seasons.
I would have rather had more stuff with the core characters.

Agree with both of you.

I liked it, a lot even, but it felt just slightly rushed, maybe the last two episodes could have been just a bit longer.

Laconia story had really no payoff and seemed to be superfluous. Unless there is more (non book reader here…)

Every character got a nice payoff, Amos, Bobbie, peaches, etc.

The destruction of the Pella seemed just a bit too easy….

I thought Naomi’s emotions after destroying the Pella were gut wrenching, then I felt a bit cheated to find out Filip escaped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads