• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched Queen's Gambit, overall very solid show. The fashion was good, overall story interesting and first 5 episodes were really good. From there I think the show lost it focus and re-introduced some old characters in unbelievable ways and forced a subpar ending. Slightly worse than the hype.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Season 2 had some strategy because they saw what happened. Either it wasn't fully fleshed out yet or the producers hadn't committed themselves to focusing on that aspect. SE1 is a different piece of television than SE2 so I find it hard to compare them.

Finished S2 (and also S12 before that--the one where they did old men/old women/young men/young women). They definitely had developed the tribal strategy--everyone in the game knew what was up--but the end game thinking wasn't quite as evolved. Sounds like maybe that continues to evolve in S3: Africa...but not sure we are going to bother watching that one.

Hated the way they did tiebreaks, so not surprised they changed it. If they let that continue for too much longer, I assume people would really start to game around it and that's not very fun.

Probably doing S6: The Amazon next, or maybe S16: Micronesia unless we decide we do want to do S3. Then we can plow into Gabon.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lupin French revenge drama comedy based on the rapscallion gentleman thief Asene Lupin a French literary character who debuted in 1905.

Omar Sy is superbly defined as the lead character. Netflix have it in two parts of five episodes knocked off part 1 in two nights. Highly Recommended.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lupin French revenge drama comedy based on the rapscallion gentleman thief Asene Lupin a French literary character who debuted in 1905.

GF, it's rather a different version of Lupin, but also on Netflix is Miyazaki Hayao's animated movie adaptation of Lupin III, called The Castle of Cagliostro.

Lupin III was a comic (manga) series about the grandson of Arsene Lupin and was very popular in Japan. The movie is great fun.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GF, it's rather a different version of Lupin, but also on Netflix is Miyazaki Hayao's animated movie adaptation of Lupin III, called The Castle of Cagliostro.

Lupin III was a comic (manga) series about the grandson of Arsene Lupin and was very popular in Japan. The movie is great fun.
@Journeyman thanks will check it out.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the manga there's both the tv show (+250 episode to date) not to mention a ton of tv movies.
1611062231745.png

Last year there was also a modern CGI-adaptation that I believe is getting a release in the west this year

As mentioned by Journeyman, the original Lupin stories and films are basically a continuation of the original french novels in a universe where both Arsene Lupin and Lupin the 3rd are "real" characters, while in the Netflix adaptation the main character is rather someone who grew up with the novels and adapted the persona for himself.

Both versions are really good and I think it was a smart move by Netflix to differentiate themselves this way, rather than doing another terrible attempt at straight adaptation a la Death Note.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Omar Sy is superbly defined as the lead character. Netflix have it in two parts of five episodes knocked off part 1 in two nights. Highly Recommended.

Started it this past weekend. So-so, so far, in my opinion. Only up to ep 2. Will finish it to provide an accurate rating.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
latest

Set in England a very very long time ago, this HIGHLY rated series follows the Bridgerton family as they navigate high society, attempt to marry off their daughter and deal with gossip(< will come back to that.)

Season 1 has 8 episodes. I finished 3 eps last night. Those 3 dealt with the marrying season, when the eligible young ladies are presented to single men to court.

The main lassie, played by Phoebe Dynevor, isn't really hip to the entire process. A newcomer in town, played by Rege-Jean page, is a duke with some past family issues...and doesn't want to get married. They hatch a scheme to try to get around the process, even though they don't really care for each other.

Yup...you can guess what happens next.

The series(so far) is narrated in the background and also documented in a society page read by anyone who is anyone.

Now...I don't think I have ever seen 1 full episode of Gossip Girl....but this has the same/simple feel. Narration/documentation/quest for love.

This has gotten loads of press re the series producer(Shonda Rhimes), the story and the sexuality. So far...it is basically a Gossip Girl taking place in England....a very very long time ago.

So far(after 3 eps)...2.5/5.
Full review to follow.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shonda Rhimes stuff always seems to start ok, but rapidly goes off the rails with ridiculously unbelievable plot twists.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is also like a good 10x racier than Gossip Girl. This ain't a CW show--some of the sex scenes and descriptions/shown acts are a few steps above.

Shonda Rhimes stuff always seems to start ok, but rapidly goes off the rails with ridiculously unbelievable plot twists.
My wife has been watching it and I've caught enough pieces to follow the story.

Everything has happened so fast that I can't imagine where the story will go besides ridiculously unbelievable plot twists. She's not done with the season yet, but I feel like there's already been enough plot twist and development to cover a a 23 episode network season.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
latest

Set in England a very very long time ago, this HIGHLY rated series follows the Bridgerton family as they navigate high society, attempt to marry off their daughter and deal with gossip(< will come back to that.)

Season 1 has 8 episodes. I finished 3 eps last night. Those 3 dealt with the marrying season, when the eligible young ladies are presented to single men to court.

The main lassie, played by Phoebe Dynevor, isn't really hip to the entire process. A newcomer in town, played by Rege-Jean page, is a duke with some past family issues...and doesn't want to get married. They hatch a scheme to try to get around the process, even though they don't really care for each other.

Yup...you can guess what happens next.

The series(so far) is narrated in the background and also documented in a society page read by anyone who is anyone.

Now...I don't think I have ever seen 1 full episode of Gossip Girl....but this has the same/simple feel. Narration/documentation/quest for love.

This has gotten loads of press re the series producer(Shonda Rhimes), the story and the sexuality. So far...it is basically a Gossip Girl taking place in England....a very very long time ago.

So far(after 3 eps)...2.5/5.
Full review to follow.
My wife has been watching this. Every time I look at the TV, people are banging.

Not as racy as ‘365 days’, which is basically an Italian version of ‘50 Shades of Grey’, with the sex turned up a few notches.

Reactions: otc

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives or As the World Turns redeux

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't sit on Expanse until the season was over so I ended up just binging the first 7 eps. Holy ****, Naomi. I think Ripley loses her crown as most badass woman in space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics