• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MV5BMDc3MzllMzgtNjFlZS00N2IxLWIwYjEtNGViNTIwYmMzZDA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_.jpg

Started this last night....

A virus is spreading in Moscow and everyone who is alive struggles to stay.....alive. A group of "friends", family and strangers bond together and try to make it to a remote lodge on an island.

These people struggle to get along. Some want to desert the others. Some are looking out only for themselves.

I believe I made it to ep 2 or 3...I forget. I will watch until the end as this reminds me of the BBC series, Survivors, which I liked. As long as this doesn't turn into a zombie series, I am AOK.

Will with hold rating.

Took a while but we finished "To the Lake". Overall, I enjoyed it. Plenty to criticize in terms of predictability, plot holes, etc. but I took an interest in the characters, was eager to keep watching and yearned for more at the last episode. That's how I judge a series these days. If I'm looking forward to a new season, I'll give it a thumbs up.

Never watched "The Crown", going to start that this week. I'm a bit ambivalent about the Royals but can't ignore the critical praise any longer. Or should I dive into "Queen's Gambit"?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am waiting for the second season of His Dark Materials to be released, it could be pretty epic if it keeps following the books. I just hope the solve some of the pacing issues they had in the first season

If you know where to find it...it is airing on BBC about a week ahead of the US releases. Episode 2 was available online on Sunday afternoon....HBO isn't going to air it until the 23rd.

No idea why networks do that **** in this day and age. Happened with Sherlock as well with an even larger gap. Yes, this is based on a book so there's no real secrets/spoilers, but don't they live for internet discussion, hypothesizing, recap articles and podcasts, etc.?

If you want to ride the hype train, don't release the show a week late in your biggest media market. I don't feel the need to participate in internet discussions for this show, but I just checked the reddits, and they are trying to navigate avoiding spoilers and maintaining separate discussion threads for UK vs US release...what a mess.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched a video about Raised by Wolves, and yep, not gonna bother with it. Looks like garbage.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Never watched "The Crown", going to start that this week. I'm a bit ambivalent about the Royals but can't ignore the critical praise any longer. Or should I dive into "Queen's Gambit"?
Crown first, Queen later.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched the first 2 seasons for The Crown and thought it was very good. I was expecting more (maybe heavily fictionalized) so lost interest after realizing they were simply just recounting the Windsor's lives.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been going through 2000’s fantasy/horror

Supernatural
Teen Wolf
Grimm
Buffy

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finished Queen’s Gambit.
******* Fabulous.
There ought to be a cologne.
Queens Gambit was outstanding. I've never been so excited watching someone play a game I knew absolutely nothing about.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I watched the first 2 seasons for The Crown and thought it was very good. I was expecting more (maybe heavily fictionalized) so lost interest after realizing they were simply just recounting the Windsor's lives.
Yeah. I keep waiting for them to convert a carriage into a time machine with Ye Olde Flux Capacitor and travel back in time to where Charles falls out of a tree and stops Phil The Nazi meeting Lizzy the Anointed before playing Sir Jonathan B. Goode on his oboe in front of the entire school.

Maybe they could leap forward in the next season and keep Andy away from that ghastly Epstein chap.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been going through 2000’s fantasy/horror

Supernatural
Teen Wolf
Grimm
Buffy
Never watched Grimm, but otherwise, this is a solid list, though I admit I stopped with Supernatural around season 4 and Teen Wolf around season 3.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never watched Grimm, but otherwise, this is a solid list, though I admit I stopped with Supernatural around season 4 and Teen Wolf around season 3.
Supernatural’s best is definitely S1-5 (original plan was to cancel after S5)

Teen Wolf is S1-3, with 4/5 watchable, but starting to tail off

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recommended The Crown to my mother to watch and her reply was, "I don't need to watch it. I lived under the crown"
Game, set, match: Mum

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prime is going to release the first 3 episodes of The Expanse on December 15th. Now that's the way you are supposed to do it

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Survivor Season 28 (Cagayan), which is one of 2 seasons randomly on Netflix.

As a novelty, it features 3 tribes, broken up into Beauty, Brawn, and Brains.

I had never watched Survivor (other than maybe catching some of the first American one back in like 1997), but it is not at all what I expected.

Ended up really enjoying it. It doesn't have most of the crap you associate with reality shows. There were no big sob stories. There wasn't superfluous manufactured interpersonal drama. They didn't spend half the show clickbaity footage like "Coming up after the break..." followed by "before the break..." like all of those ****** Discovery/TLC/History shows do. And watching it on Netflix means it just flows smoothly with no commercials

Whole thing felt much more like an extended game-show (which it is) and the drama came almost entirely from either physical challenges and social/voting strategy. People might make stupid decisions or get mad at each other, but it is understandable rather than like...a producer off screen stirring the pot just to get someone riled up.

Also, the nerd tribe is so hilariously bad...I couldn't stop watching the trainwreck.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Survivor Season 28 (Cagayan), which is one of 2 seasons randomly on Netflix.

As a novelty, it features 3 tribes, broken up into Beauty, Brawn, and Brains.

I had never watched Survivor (other than maybe catching some of the first American one back in like 1997), but it is not at all what I expected.

Ended up really enjoying it. It doesn't have most of the crap you associate with reality shows. There were no big sob stories. There wasn't superfluous manufactured interpersonal drama. They didn't spend half the show clickbaity footage like "Coming up after the break..." followed by "before the break..." like all of those ****** Discovery/TLC/History shows do. And watching it on Netflix means it just flows smoothly with no commercials

Whole thing felt much more like an extended game-show (which it is) and the drama came almost entirely from either physical challenges and social/voting strategy. People might make stupid decisions or get mad at each other, but it is understandable rather than like...a producer off screen stirring the pot just to get someone riled up.

Also, the nerd tribe is so hilariously bad...I couldn't stop watching the trainwreck.
"Survivor" is good ****. It's interesting how much the gameplay has changed from SE 1-2 and how Jeff now realizes he's a detached god in the show's mythology. There was also a point, I think around season five or six where it's clear that the show is a different beast from what it was.

Sometimes they go overboard with the twists and lately they kind of have to the point where people are like: can we go back to when it was pure wiles that got you to the end?

I also don't think people realize how much the show is a form of torture. The unrelenting sameness of never not seeing these people you don't know, not having anything to do, not having anything to look forward to except more exhaustion is just brutal. I mean, there's never any relief from any of the game. You're with the same people, doing the same chores, fighting off bugs/vermin and every moment of it all.......scheming. Winning the rewards breeds resentment with the losers and you come back and you're behind the eight ball with the latest allying.

Reactions: otc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics