• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any classic Patriots games on NFL Network

1603247381597.png

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the few shows that ended well.

Reactions: otc

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV5BM2EwMmRhMmUtMzBmMS00ZDQ3LTg4OGEtNjlkODk3ZTMxMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5ODk1NDU@._V1_.jpg

WOW! JUST WOW!

I just finished ep 2 of this 7 part series!

A young girl loses her mom after they are involved in a car "accident". She is sent to a orphanage and struggles to find her way/fit in.

When she encounters the janitor in the basement playing chess, she has no idea what he is doing/what the game is. However, she has a gift! The janitor refuses to let her play...at first...but she studies him and goes over the moves/games in her head at night in bed. He then starts to teach her: openings/strategy/etc.

The orphanage administers medication to all of the girls, but that just sharpens her senses and knowledge of the game.

She is adopted, and again, struggles to fit in with her new "parents". After she reads in the paper about a local chess tournament, she reaches out to the janitor for the $5 entrance fee(winner takes home $100). Her life will never be the same!

The fabulous Isla Johnston plays the young(fictional) Beth Harmon and the wonderful Anya Taylor-Joy plays her in her teens/later years.

I don't believe that you have to be a chess fan to absolutely love this series! I am, but that is only partially why I choose to give it a shot. Netflix hit it out of the park with this!

As of 2 eps.....4.75/5

(Disclaimer: My rating can drop is Netflix $hits the bed over the last 5 eps!)

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My YouTube TV DVR is: Fargo (haven't started this season)
Two Steve Raichlen shows
My Greek Kitchen
America's Test Kitchen
Cook's Country
Lidia's Kitchen
Patti's Mexican Table
Mexico: One plate at a time with Rick Bayless
Taste of Malaysia with Yan
Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals
Simply Ming
Barefoot Contessa
Deadliest Catch
Archer
Frontline
Any classic Patriots games on NFL Network

fat bastard

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV5BM2EwMmRhMmUtMzBmMS00ZDQ3LTg4OGEtNjlkODk3ZTMxMmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5ODk1NDU@._V1_.jpg

WOW! JUST WOW!

I just finished ep 2 of this 7 part series!

A young girl loses her mom after they are involved in a car "accident". She is sent to a orphanage and struggles to find her way/fit in.

When she encounters the janitor in the basement playing chess, she has no idea what he is doing/what the game is. However, she has a gift! The janitor refuses to let her play...at first...but she studies him and goes over the moves/games in her head at night in bed. He then starts to teach her: openings/strategy/etc.

The orphanage administers medication to all of the girls, but that just sharpens her senses and knowledge of the game.

She is adopted, and again, struggles to fit in with her new "parents". After she reads in the paper about a local chess tournament, she reaches out to the janitor for the $5 entrance fee(winner takes home $100). Her life will never be the same!

The fabulous Isla Johnston plays the young(fictional) Beth Harmon and the wonderful Anya Taylor-Joy plays her in her teens/later years.

I don't believe that you have to be a chess fan to absolutely love this series! I am, but that is only partially why I choose to give it a shot. Netflix hit it out of the park with this!

As of 2 eps.....4.75/5

(Disclaimer: My rating can drop is Netflix $hits the bed over the last 5 eps!)

I finished this last night/this morning! Again...WOW! JUST WOW!

Anya Taylor-Joy is stunning(performance and looks) in her role as the main character, Beth Harmon.

Ep's 3-7 takes us along for the ride as Beth enters more prestigious tournaments and her name/reputation rises among the worldwide chess community.

Her goal? Enter the world championships in Russia and seek revenge for a loss to the top player in the world(a Russian.) She will need to overcome loads to make that happen...starting with her pill and alcohol issues and the lack of money needed to get her there.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. The soundtrack and main score are SO good. Beth's/Anya's wardrobe is so fitting for the mid/late 60's. She has mesmerizing eyes..as you can see in the pic above. A captivating performance!

I remember thinking last night that I would maybe "drop" this down to a 4.25 or a 4.5. I may have been falling asleep and not really paying attention. I re-watched the last ep from last night and continued on this morning. This def held up!

4.75/5!

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter watched this recently, reminding me that I'd been planning to check it out. I'm glad I did- it's excellent.

As an unexpected bonus, my daughter now thinks I'm marginally less lame.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughter watched this recently, reminding me that I'd been planning to check it out. I'm glad I did- it's excellent.

As an unexpected bonus, my daughter now thinks I'm marginally less lame.
Just don’t watch the live action movie. I watched about 20 min of it and I’d rather watch Blade Runner 2049 instead of that pile of garbage.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just don’t watch the live action movie. I watched about 20 min of it and I’d rather watch Blade Runner 2049 instead of that pile of garbage.
The thought never even crossed my mind. I remember it prominently featuring in "Worst Movie of the Year" lists.

I'm willing to watch ****** movies occasionally, (see my recent post in the movies thread, for instance) but only if they're one-offs. I'm not going to risk polluting memories of something good with associated garbage. That's why I'm glad there are only three Indiana Jones movies...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
grand-army.jpg

Started this last night.

This 9 part series centers around a fictional high school in Brooklyn, NY named, you guessed it, Grand Army.

It's gritty and raw! Sex, bullying, racism, sexuality, all all of the usual high school high jinks are all touched on during each appr 1 hour ep. The cast of young adults playing teens are pretty good.

This isn't a G rated series. These kids curse like sailors(do sailors really curse that much?)

I got to ep 3 and will def finish this out before the weekend. I could def see this getting picked up for another season...but you never know with Netflix!

Holding off on my rating until the end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads