• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This line of thinking and 'correcting' fictional stories/characters baffles me. It's like the hysteria over the plot of JK Rowling's upcoming book - like we're all totally cool with a book about a serial killer but a trans serial killer is somehow beyond the pale? It's a ridiculous, Mary Whitehouse-esque level of pearl clutching and soft censorship.
Think of it more like an update. In the comic homosexuality is held over certain people's heads like an anvil, where today it wouldn't cause a ripple. Not pearl clutching, just updating to make the story more believable to a modern audience.

Not every change in an adaptation is a concession to the PC police, and only the truly paranoid see it that way.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remember it saying something about painting being fun, and I thought "that's preposterous" and checked out...

That was actually "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", not "Huckleberry Finn"...

Think of it more like an update. In the comic homosexuality is held over certain people's heads like an anvil, where today it wouldn't cause a ripple. Not pearl clutching, just updating to make the story more believable to a modern audience.

Interestingly, the comics were only written about 14 years ago (or 10 or 11 to 14 years ago), so they're pretty recent. It's interesting to see how views have changed (maybe only in some segments of society) since that time.

Has anyone watched "The Preacher", based on another Ennis comic series? The TV series was quite different from the comics, but I enjoyed it and thought the casting was really good, too.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hulu is offering a free ad-free month- is there anything actually worth watching?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was actually "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", not "Huckleberry Finn"...

Interestingly, the comics were only written about 14 years ago (or 10 or 11 to 14 years ago), so they're pretty recent. It's interesting to see how views have changed (maybe only in some segments of society) since that time.

Has anyone watched "The Preacher", based on another Ennis comic series? The TV series was quite different from the comics, but I enjoyed it and thought the casting was really good, too.

Preacher was fantastic...
And not without it's own controversial content.
Like god dressing up in a Dalmatian costume, and for the right price he'd let you put it in his can.
I think there's a similar scene in Huckleberry Finn.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hulu is offering a free ad-free month- is there anything actually worth watching?
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Orville- I think that's all I've watched on it lately.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok dumbfuck, The Turner Diaries, The Camp of the Saints, and The Birth of a Nation are works of fiction that are explicitly **************.

True that.

Also, regarding trans people, sex is biological, gender is socially constructed roles.

If a guy wants to be a woman and identifies as that, whatever. I'll call her a woman then. Big deal.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, she's an author, not an MD, biologist, geneticist, etc.
That is a terrible argument. Saying someone can't have an opinion on a topic simply because they don't have an advanced level of knowledge in the area of study is ridiculous. That is the whole reason they are experts, to share their evidence to the layman. It's the people who have no actual evidence from scientists that are promoting something as fact that need to stop, not what J.K. Rowling is doing.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a terrible argument. Saying someone can't have an opinion on a topic simply because they don't have an advanced level of knowledge in the area of study is ridiculous. That is the whole reason they are experts, to share their evidence to the layman. It's the people who have no actual evidence from scientists that are promoting something as fact that need to stop, not what J.K. Rowling is doing.

If I made that argument you would be right. I didn't so you aren't.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
True that.

Also, regarding trans people, sex is biological, gender is socially constructed roles.

If a guy wants to be a woman and identifies as that, whatever. I'll call her a woman then. Big deal.
Gender should completely stop being used as its purpose has grown to be more confusing than helpful. Biological sex is all people truly need to know anyway. Gender just categorizes people into labels that oddly enough, is the exact type of thing the targeted group is constantly outraged about. As is evidenced by the 100+ different genders that are now promoted from the deep dungeons of the modern University social programs.

Last edited:

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I made that argument you would be right. I didn't so you aren't.
That is the exact argument you made. You said her opinion is wrong because she doesn't hold an advanced degree or equal level job title. You are showing your arguments faulty logic by buying into and promoting social propaganda under the guise of "wokeness".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads