• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Orville is better than I expected it to be. It's a comedic homage to Star Trek rather than a spoof. (The plots are serious, but the crew is made comedic.)
Just finished watching the season 2 finale. It's pretty decent. More serious than I expected, but still light viewing. Very Next Generation-like. In fact, I kinda think it's more Star Trek-y than the last 2-3 actual Star Trek shows. I read that it's switching networks from Fox to Hulu for season 3, so it will be interesting to see if that causes any noticeable changes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
The Wire. I'm in the middle of the best season of television there's ever been. First full rewatch. Fun stuff.

4?

Malcolm in the Middle, season 6, the episode where Hal and Francis go on their bike trip through the living room.
Big fan of MiM. Kind of got written off as some dumb kids sitcom, but there's a lot of very sharp satire in there. I regularly quote Reese's position on empathy.

As for me - just started season 2 of Umbrella Academy. Not liking it as much as the internet told me I would. Reminded me of a less-good Heroes season 1. Plowing on regardless.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4?

Big fan of MiM. Kind of got written off as some dumb kids sitcom, but there's a lot of very sharp satire in there. I regularly quote Reese's position on empathy.

As for me - just started season 2 of Umbrella Academy. Not liking it as much as the internet told me I would. Reminded me of a less-good Heroes season 1. Plowing on regardless.
I just finished season 2 of Umbrella...
As a whole, I liked season 1 better. Stick with it, season 2 gets going. 5 and Lila are the best parts, and the finale has me wanting a season 3.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished the first season of Jack Ryan. Thoroughly mediocre. Can't seem to find anything I like on TV at the moment. May give Perry Mason a try.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1426744

BLACK MIRROR!!!

Holy cow, is this good! Why did I wait so long to watch this? Easily the best show I’ve seen in a long, long while. Each episode is like a fully-developed movie, rich with interest, sentiment, pathos, intrigue.

!

San Junipero is definitely up there as one of the greatest television episodes of all time.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just finished watching the season 2 finale. It's pretty decent. More serious than I expected, but still light viewing. Very Next Generation-like. In fact, I kinda think it's more Star Trek-y than the last 2-3 actual Star Trek shows. I read that it's switching networks from Fox to Hulu for season 3, so it will be interesting to see if that causes any noticeable changes.
Season 3 is going to be the last. (That's probably a good thing. It's the kind of show that can wear out its welcome.)

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Season 3 is going to be the last. (That's probably a good thing. It's the kind of show that can wear out its welcome.)
I read somewhere that Netflix is basically going to top out virtually all shows at three series, reason being that anything longer than that looks too daunting to take on to new viewers

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Netflix is basically going to top out virtually all shows at three series, reason being that anything longer than that looks too daunting to take on to new viewers
That limitation doesn't much much sense, as an a priori condition, for a business based on content distribution and now production as well. Why the "magic number" 3? The SASers (ShortAttentionSpanners) won't last 0.85 seasons these days, let alone 3.

Netflix's problem lately doesn't seem to be the length of their series as much as the lack of basic quality and originality regardless. Fewer scatter-shot series, with better work, comprising actually compelling first/second/third episodes to engage viewers, and not just shorter-duration middling work, will sustain audiences, so maybe the solution for Netflix is for them to, in the words of Samuel Beckett, "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” But...without unconditional term limits on seasons.

NB: my brother (not a big-wig, but there a long time now) works for NF USA, right in project development and financing. He says he has not heard anything of this "3-season max policy".

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished the first season of Jack Ryan. Thoroughly mediocre. Can't seem to find anything I like on TV at the moment. May give Perry Mason a try.
It was fine for what it was. Neithet wendell nor krasinski were trying particularly hard but for a season of pulp you could do a lot worse. (If they had just cut the stupid side plot of the soldier making amends it would've been a much better season).

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first season of Perry Mason, and it seems like most people who don't expect it to be like the original feel the same. It's apparently also doing really well with HBO customers, 2nd season already confirmed which I can't wait for.

Other than Perry Mason I've been watching the show Rake (the australian original) and man it's so good.
Great courtroom show that doesn't spend all that much time in the courtroom, with lots of flawed but sympatethic characters and something of a bad-boy middle-aged antihero as it's main character. I highly recommended it.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rake (the australian original) and man it's so good.
Great courtroom show that doesn't spend all that much time in the courtroom, with lots of flawed but sympatethic characters and something of a bad-boy middle-aged antihero as it's main character. I highly recommended it.
I have not seen "Perry Mason" but concur that "Rake" (AUS) is fantastic!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the world would have been a better place without that final season
Really?
I am still in Season 3.
Is Season 4 good; Season 5 to avoid? I guess I will find out.

"Broadchurch" was like that ime: very good first season, even second, but very bizarre/bad/boring final season.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Just finish 4 and pretend 5 isn't lurking out there. You'll start cringing in episode 1 and have a face like a cat's arse by the finale.

5's kind of a modular season, so you won't really miss anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads