• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 episodes in and Avenue 5 is the funniest show I've see in the past few years. Hilarious.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished Mindhunter, which I have learned is "soft cancelled" (everyone has been released from their contracts). I enjoyed S2 a lot more than S1. I hope eventually it comes back, if only to continue/resolve the BTK arc they've been teasing.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just watched the first 3 episodes of Avenue 5. I think I could like this show more, but I really really don’t like Josh Gad in it. It feels like he wants to be Jack Black or something, but he just can’t pull it off. Jack Black in this role would have been amazing.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddly, I find Josh Gad less grating than Jack Black, though I think Black is a significantly better actor. He was really good in Bernie.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gad is great in Avenue 5, but I don't have much of a memory of him in other shows so it doesn't seem like a bad fit. The show is hilarious

Finished The Witcher. Entertaining, but had a Jeffrey Epstein-ish vibe. I haven't read the book, but a 12 year old girl running into Superman's arms, after she has been told he is her destiny, felt dirty.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched first 2 Picard eps last night, very good. I can't help but think the whole synthetic / Mars angle was straight jacked from Mass Effect though.

I got to episode 6 of the Witcher before I gave up on thinking it would grow on me. Just not what I was hoping for. I wanted something genuinely scary or at least creepy.

No hot bitches in tapestries, then no thanks.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question for Picard fans, well Trekkies in general....why do you think there is still so much bad blood between the Federation and Romulan Empire? It doesn't make much sense to me.

After the Romulan Empire bought Sisko and Garaks' false flag operation and dragged them into the Dominion War, they became allies of the Federation. Normally, it wouldn't be hard to believe they would become adversaries again after that war ended....but then, how does that explain the Klingons? Why was the Federation okay with the Klingon Empire, or whatever was left of it afterwards, but went cold on the Romulans?

It's kind of hard to believe they'd turn their backs on the Romulans, who were facing annihilation, when it didn't happen like that with the Klingons at all thanks to Kirk. How come Kirk was able to hold the Federation together while helping a major adversary, but Picard wasn't?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, thanks for somewhat spoiling Picard for me.
To answer the question though, the Klingons were worthy adversaries and a great ally in space whereas the Romulans were always the mysterious, smart, militaristic cousin of the Vulcans. I don’t think it would ever be of benefit to be allies. Romulans were never trustworthy, Klingons actually are, and were probably the most deceptive of all species not named Ferengi. Not that several attempts at peace were made throughout the series. It just never happened.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey I didn't spoil anything. Trust me, don't worry.

As far as continued hostility towards the Romulans, I'm guessing there's a DS9 episode out there I either didn't see or forgot where they betrayed the Federation during the Dominion War or something maybe. But something made the Federation turn their backs on the Romulans as was shown in the 2009 reboot with Nero looking for revenge. And the Ferengi were allies with the Federation towards the end of DS9 IIRC.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I didn't spoil anything. Trust me, don't worry.

As far as continued hostility towards the Romulans, I'm guessing there's a DS9 episode out there I either didn't see or forgot where they betrayed the Federation during the Dominion War or something maybe. But something made the Federation turn their backs on the Romulans as was shown in the 2009 reboot with Nero looking for revenge. And the Ferengi were allies with the Federation towards the end of DS9 IIRC.
You also have part of your answer in your first part. Picard. Think Star Trek Nemesis. The Romulans tried to clone Picard in order to breed the perfect spy into the Federation. And when that plan fell out of favor, they just ditched the being onto their slave planet. Even a Picard hater in the Federation wouldn’t stand for that sort of diabolical scheme.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough, but Shinzen did go rogue, and I don't know, it's not like the Romulans being sneaky was ever a big secret itself. And the Federation has Section 31, Romulans have Tal Shiar, Cardassians have Obsidian Order. It still doesn't make sense compared to how readily they accepted the Klingons as allies. Their sense of honor was ultimately might makes right.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why was the Federation okay with the Klingon Empire, or whatever was left of it afterwards, but went cold on the Romulans?

Because Trek always took the easy way out and depicted the Klingons as an "empire" with no subjects.

I guess they did that with the Romulans, too, but it was also suggested over and over that the Romulans were just people too and we'd all be pals eventually.

The only empire we see with actual subjects is the Cardassians, and apparently they only had one occupied planet and not for very long. (And that was only in Deep Space 9; in TNG the Cardassians are said to have expelled the Bajorans, not occupied their planet). Curiously the occupation is said to have resulted in an absurdly small number of deaths over a very long period of time (something like 25 million on an entire planet over 100 years). Given how we count deaths from wars and natural disasters, it seems probable that the occupation really was as benign and possibly benevolent as the Cardassians say it was.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because Trek always took the easy way out and depicted the Klingons as an "empire" with no subjects.

I guess they did that with the Romulans, too, but it was also suggested over and over that the Romulans were just people too and we'd all be pals eventually.

The only empire we see with actual subjects is the Cardassians, and apparently they only had one occupied planet and not for very long. (And that was only in Deep Space 9; in TNG the Cardassians are said to have expelled the Bajorans, not occupied their planet). Curiously the occupation is said to have resulted in an absurdly small number of deaths over a very long period of time (something like 25 million on an entire planet over 100 years). Given how we count deaths from wars and natural disasters, it seems probable that the occupation really was as benign and possibly benevolent as the Cardassians say it was.
Seems like someone has been keeping up with the Cardassians. ?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but Shinzen did go rogue, and I don't know, it's not like the Romulans being sneaky was ever a big secret itself. And the Federation has Section 31, Romulans have Tal Shiar, Cardassians have Obsidian Order. It still doesn't make sense compared to how readily they accepted the Klingons as allies. Their sense of honor was ultimately might makes right.
Do the Klingons not have something similar to the Obsidian Order/ Tal Shiar/ Section 31 equivalent? Seems kind of dumb for a major empire not to have an intelligence branch that can carry out covert operations.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the Klingons not have something similar to the Obsidian Order/ Tal Shiar/ Section 31 equivalent? Seems kind of dumb for a major empire not to have an intelligence branch that can carry out covert operations.

Intelligence or black ops? Big difference

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads