• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB gun fights could only shoot below the waist and hoped you were wearing new Levis.
Friend of mine from high school did that while wearing Army surplus camo pants. The pants had a heavy duty brass zipper. Another guy thought it would be hilarious to shoot him in the dick, because that is, objectively, hilarious. The BB ricocheted off the zipper and that’s how Steve got his cool glass eye.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On Boy Scout camping trips we'd play a reverse of the stretchy/mumbly peg called chicken. You start w/ legs wide and throw your pocket knife between the other guys legs. He'd have to move one of his legs in to where your knife had stuck. You keep going w/ legs getting closer together until someone 'chickened' out. Of course being good scouts you had to play in hiking boots and weren't supposed to throw your knife too hard.

For BB gun fights we wore down coats and you were supposed to "not aim high" - also guns couldn't be pumped too much. I forget if there was any kind of head/eye protection, but I don't remember anyone being seriously injured.

Just watched Big Little Lies which was pretty good. Killing Eve gets high marks and also enjoyed the Crown
:lurk:

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First ep and a half of Fleabag ,meh, not sure I'm in yet. Too much hype.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost through with The Office(!). Is it just me or does the quality of the show inexplicably plummet partway through the final season?

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just started watching Dark, a Netflix original from Germany. It’s dark, but the first episode was good.
I liked it a lot. If you like a convoluted plot with interwoven lines that give you time to figure out who's who and why you'll enjoy it.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First ep and a half of Fleabag ,meh, not sure I'm in yet. Too much hype.
I started a few weeks ago and burned through it quickly. I loved it.

Almost through with The Office(!). Is it just me or does the quality of the show inexplicably plummet partway through the final season?
Many would argue that it plummeted after Michael Scott left but I enjoyed it all the way through. I tend to turn it on when in a hotel for background entertainment. Any season works.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been more wrong about a TV show than with Fleabag. Hated the first episode, returned to it a few months later and burned through the whole first season in one evening. One of the best shows I've seen in years.

Started Il Miracolo tonight and it already seems head and shoulders above most of the recent Italian shows I've seen. Easily up there with Suburra.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Blake Stitched Blues, what station is that on?

(Are you Italian? I am, and would love to see this. Suburra was really very good.)

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Blake Stitched Blues, what station is that on?

(Are you Italian? I am, and would love to see this. Suburra was really very good.)
I think it aired last year on Sky Atlantic and Arte in France. I had to sail the high seas to track it down and it took a bit of work to get all the episodes and subtitles. It's a superb series, and I highly recommend it.

I'm not Italian but I've always liked Italian cinema. Le conseguenze dell'amore is one of my all-time favourite films and I usually keep up with the Italian shows like Suburra. I liked Romanzo Criminale and Gomorrah too, but the TV adaptations of both never reached the same quality as the film versions in my opinion.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it aired last year on Sky Atlantic and Arte in France. I had to sail the high seas to track it down and it took a bit of work to get all the episodes and subtitles. It's a superb series, and I highly recommend it.

I'm not Italian but I've always liked Italian cinema. Le conseguenze dell'amore is one of my all-time favourite films and I usually keep up with the Italian shows like Suburra. I liked Romanzo Criminale and Gomorrah too, but the TV adaptations of both never reached the same quality as the film versions in my opinion.
Oh, wow. I have not even heard of those channels and have no idea how I would find them as I have no cable, etc. Maybe the series will come to NF some day.

Grazie, amico.

No, the TV Gomorrah was not nearly as good as the film I agree, nor RC.

Il commissario Montalbano was fun to watch on PBS, but the entire PBS Italian slate seems to have vanished, at least in Southern California.

Dashing Chris

Reaction score
Just about everyone seems to have at least one video streaming service now. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and we have a Roku on our two flatscreens as an example. I find myself constantly looking for engaging TV series to stream, as I like to watch them while I exercise at home, and often find them to be from countries other than the US. I thought a thread devoted to streaming interesting series would be cool. Name the series, a brief synopsis, and what service you found it on. All I want is free stuff as I'm cheap.

A couple recent ones for me are:

1) Rake. Set in current time Sydney Australia and tells the story about a brilliant yet degenerate criminal law attorney.
2) Hotel Babylon. Set in current time London it's set in an unltra-lux hotel and tells the story of staff and guests.
3) Hell on Wheels. Set in post-civil war US tells the story of a small frontier town and building of the railway.
Suits...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.