1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Jun 2, 2014.

1. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

After starting to re-watch The Wire for the 100th time I decided to try Friday Night Lights. I'm a TV snob so I was never really interested in watching but i am enjoying this after bingeing the first 5 episodes. Some pretty good acting.
    Really loved The Wire, The Sopranos, The Night Of, True Detective (season 1).

1 person likes this.
  2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

My 80 year old dad is. No idea how he found out how to navigate Netflix. May have to check it out

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Worth it just to hear King George recite a profane limerick in episode 1.

4. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

First episode of Grand Tour (Top Gear crew) is up on Amazon prime.

5. MacJack

MacJack Active Member

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Tried The Get Down on Netflix last night but I had to turn it off after 15 minutes. Corny dialogue, poor acting and distracting background music. All I could think about was what a missed opportunity this was.

1 person likes this.
  7. accordion

accordion Senior member

Caught up on Westworld. Main plot moves along way too slowly. Lacks visual invention for the show's ambition. Shitty dialogue, shitty philosophy. Great actors, Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins especially. A million plot holes that I can overlook as someone not that into sci-fi but I'm sure others can't. The episode 7 reveal was obvious and could only be of the kind given the show's theme and setting. I hoped last weekend's episode would deliver especially when

they showed the bulletproof minotaur that I assumed meant they reached the center of the maze but then it turned out to be some random henchman I was like lol ok.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

I've also caught up on Westworld.

I think it's amazing.

:)

1 person likes this.
  9. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Black Mirror. On 'flix. It's a...modern day Twilight Zone. Been out awhile, totally slipped my net. Muy entertaining.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Some episodes are underwhelming while others are pretty great. Loved White Rabbit

2 people like this.
  11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

White Bear?

Agree it is awesome.

12. Rebecca123

Rebecca123 Member

I`ve been caught up on Westworld

13. kindofyoung

Okay now I'm honestly curious about these plotholes of yours, or if you just haven't grasped the major plottwists that people on reddit have managed to figure out way long ago?
    More or less every big reveal or happening from the last few episodes + probably how the 10th episode will play out has been predicted with ridiculous accuracy by people delving really deep into the story, the characters, the cinematography and even the characters names, starting with the fact that
    Bernard Lowe = Arnold Weber
    which was somehow successfully predicted already before episode 2. After that the theories have just kept on growing and evolving, adapting and correcting themselves as each new episode reveals more information.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Watched Michael Che's comedy special on Netflix. Surpisingly good. Makes me wonder how much actual talent SNL is wasting.

1 person likes this.
  15. accordion

accordion Senior member

I'm just irked by some of the logic of the world, such as that
    increasing a host's "intelligence" to 20 like putting points into an RPG character would enable it to comprehend the present world, to use and hack into computers and to command other hosts. That Ed Harris avoided going through a camp of soldiers even though he's invincible. Theodore needed a blood transfusion to survive, but is then regenerated by a glass of magical whiskey served by Robert. That two human techs could be so easily manipulated by a robot. That even though hosts can't hurt humans, Dolores slashes Billy's friend in their timeline. That even though the bullets used by the hosts can damage walls and buildings, they magically turn into rubber when aimed at humans. I feel like way more explanation of robot sentience is needed because the rules seem wildly inconsistent and shit just kinda happens. For example it's one thing to build a robot, and something completely different to build a robot in the image of another human, presumably with similar personalities and intelligence.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  16. kindofyoung

All these answers are how I've interpreted it and I don't mean to claim they are the final/definite answer but anyway:

- I think they've already mentioned how the hosts are actually potentially smarter than humans, so by maxing out the intelligence + a whole bunch of other factors, I don't think it's unreasonable that she reasonably quick could get a grasp of her peculiar situation and her surroundings.
    - They can't be killed, but they can be hurt and they can be slowed down. MiB has been coming here for 30 years and also at the time think Teddy is important in some way, so it makes sense to both want to stay efficient plus keeping him safe.
    - Well I mean, the whole point is that Ford controls pretty much everything I don't find it weird at all that he was able to "magically" fix Theodore (he could also have frozen time and had a tech there, but they simply didn't feel it was necessary or added to the scene)
    - This one actually used to irk me as well, but either they could also be hosts and part of someones plan (Arnolds I guess?) or the asian guy is simply scared since Maeve already managed to wake up on two occasions when he had put her to sleep. Gradually I think he also grows sympathetic of her situation which you could sort of tell in the 2 most recent episodes, but I'm with you that it wasn't done the best way and him starting to care about her earlier would have explained it all nicer.
    - As I said above, hosts can hurt humans, they just can't kill them.
    - Remote-controlled bullets? Bullet-deflecting clothes for the guests? Idk, I don't really have a good answer to this I guess but I don't really care either.
    - I feel like Fords speeches in the 2 recent episodes have touched on this as well, that they already are capable of building robots that in all regards except physical could be considered human, that there isn't some critical point where someone is human or not, but that humans are simply the exact sum of all their parts, no more and no less. Regarding being able to actually copy a human and "reproduce" them in robot form, the only scenes we have afaik with OG Arnold are the basement-talks with Dolores, which isn't a whole lot to go to determine if Bernard is a "perfect" copy of Arnold or simply what Ford has needed him to be.
    Lastly, while I too would enjoy more explanation on robot sentience I suspect the far majority don't care all that much, so putting too much focus on that would possibly have scared away a large percentage of viewers.
    If you want to read even more discussions and observations from people way smarter than me, I can highly recommend visiting Westworld subreddit [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Edit - took out my post since it was in the wrong thread.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  18. accordion

accordion Senior member

I think it became a different timeline when she woke up.

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think so, yeah. Also, spoiler-alert.

20. kindofyoung

30 years ago Dolores gets stabbed and that is why she sees herself laying dead in the river when she comes to the town in current time