• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just watched the finale. It ended perfectly. Guessing somewhere in the two year range before we get a new season?

Unless they fast-track it I’d guess we are looking at a couple of years.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
A Spy Among Friends. Streaming on MGM, whatever that is. I spoke it into my remote and it popped up--not sure how or why I get MGM. Any way, it's Damian Lewis and Guy Pearce in the Kim Philby escape/defection story.

Seems like the episodes are dropping weekly on Sunday evenings; I watched the first two last night. Very well done. Like all fictionalized history, it makes me wonder where the liberties are being taken and how much of it is actual fact.

Entertaining scene where Ian Fleming has a diver submerged in a swimming pool climb onto dry land, zip himself out of his dry suit to expose himself (not going to spoil it for you...)

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished season 2 of Shadow and Bone. I enjoyed it, but it felt kind of hectic. I read that season 1 combined material from 2 books and season 2 combined material from 3, which would explain it. They set up a lot of room for another season, but Netflix being Netflix, I expect it will be canceled.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished season 2 of Shadow and Bone. I enjoyed it, but it felt kind of hectic. I read that season 1 combined material from 2 books and season 2 combined material from 3, which would explain it. They set up a lot of room for another season, but Netflix being Netflix, I expect it will be canceled.
I just have to get motivated to watch it. It's been like 3 years since S1?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just have to get motivated to watch it. It's been like 3 years since S1?
I had to look it up- almost exactly 2 years. I feel like that's about standard for shows now. The days when tv shows started a new season of 20 episodes each fall are long gone. Now it's basically, "Hey, remember that show you kinda liked a few years ago? Here's a new season. If you don't drop everything and watch it right now, we'll cancel it!" 🤷‍♂️

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been watching it, and I still really don’t know what the hell is going on, other than that global warming smog bank is really evil.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to look it up- almost exactly 2 years. I feel like that's about standard for shows now. The days when tv shows started a new season of 20 episodes each fall are long gone. Now it's basically, "Hey, remember that show you kinda liked a few years ago? Here's a new season. If you don't drop everything and watch it right now, we'll cancel it!" 🤷‍♂️
It's now more of a surprise when Netflix doesn't cancel a series.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm 2 episodes in and it kinda just feels lost.

And I say that as someone who really enjoyed season 1 enough that I went and read the books that follow Kaz Brekker's crew (I didn't quite feel the need to read the original trilogy featuring the teenage love triangle with Alina). Those were some solid YA books telling good-old heist/conman stories.

I read that season 1 combined material from 2 books and season 2 combined material from 3, which would explain it.

Hard to say when I'm only 2 episodes in, but it seems like what is going on here is they are trying to adapt from the Kaz crew books in order to keep them relevant to the story...whereas in the first season the Kaz crew storyline was essentially made up for the show

They were arguably the more compelling/deeper characters in the book series and it made sense to bring them into the show with the "go capture the girl" side quest...but now they are stuck with the 2 sided conundrum of:
1. How do we keep them in the story since people like them.
2. How can we shoehorn in some of the story that was already written about them those are the stronger books that the showrunner actually initailly read and wanted to adapt.

That just ends up feeling off both to me who has seen some of those story elements in the book and to my wife who hasn't read them.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the showrunners want to do a spin off series about the Crows, which totally makes sense, based on what you're saying about the source material.

They're a lot more interesting as characters, too.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They really could have done with a better "Previously on" segment. The one that played before ep1 just didn't do enough to remind of the details...it just reminded me of the massive plot points that were easy enough to recall or infer from context (black smoke bad). 2 years is a long time.

Not only do those old ~20-episode seasons of network shows come out every year, but they also only have like a 3 month summer break between seasons...as opposed to a 11.5 month gap between 8 binged episodes even if they were able to do a once-a-year release schedule.

I read somewhere that the showrunners want to do a spin off series about the Crows, which totally makes sense, based on what you're saying about the source material.

They're a lot more interesting as characters, too.

Yeah, but unless the remaining episodes halt the progression and go in a totally different direction, it seems like they will have burned up a lot of the source material for the crows as they are already inserting characters/backstory that don't come out until later.

Also, making a spinoff probably requires them to both not get cancelled before finishing the original story (assuming it isn't wrapped up in S2 here) AND still have enough sway with Netflix to convince them to make a spinoff with actors who will probably be demanding increasingly high wages (and given the pace...will start to struggle to play youthful characters...).

Who knows...maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and I'll get a whole new story featuring those characters...

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been watching Will Trent on hulu. Like it so far (on Episode 4). Looks like it's based on the Karin Slaughter book series, detective out of Georgia, has dyslexia, grew up in foster care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads