• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I thought it could be interesting with Jodie Foster still playing the young ingenue and Phil Hartman as Hannibal Lecter...

Otherwise: out.
Phil Hartman as Hannibal Lecter is a stretch. In fact, Phil Hartman playing anything other than corpse is a huge stretch.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Too late he's already done for. Is he committed...absolutely. But that doesn't mean I don't think he's a total prick of a human being.

An oldie

What movie were they shooting?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terminator Salvation. And he tried to blame method acting, as if it was some lofty role.
More like Terminator Green Screen. Haven't seen that much use of green screen acting since the shitty Star Wars Prequels

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is a TV Series thread but I have to ask this question, because I've been thinking about it lately and wanted to get your consensus on which actor you think can routinely play a very good villain character. For the longest time I thought Gary Oldman was the best, even though he was more of the non violent type (having others do his bidding). Movies like "The Book of Eli", "The 5th Element" and "JFK" come to mind. However after rewatching "Broken Arrow" I think John Travolta is the ultimate villain. With titles like "Face/Off", "The Punisher", "The Taking of Pelham 123", "Swordfish", he's just such a natural at it. I remember reading something about the movie Face/Off and that Nicholas Cage wasn't convincing enough to play the villain, so they adjusted the plot so he's mainly seen as the protagonist, which makes perfect sense because Cage, while being a great actor, excels playing flawed character roles such as in Matchstick Men, being deeply troubled but having redeemable moments.

Any way what do you guys think?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is a TV Series thread but I have to ask this question, because I've been thinking about it lately and wanted to get your consensus on which actor you think can routinely play a very good villain character. For the longest time I thought Gary Oldman was the best, even though he was more of the non violent type (having others do his bidding). Movies like "The Book of Eli", "The 5th Element" and "JFK" come to mind. However after rewatching "Broken Arrow" I think John Travolta is the ultimate villain. With titles like "Face/Off", "The Punisher", "The Taking of Pelham 123", "Swordfish", he's just such a natural at it. I remember reading something about the movie Face/Off and that Nicholas Cage wasn't convincing enough to play the villain, so they adjusted the plot so he's mainly seen as the protagonist, which makes perfect sense because Cage, while being a great actor, excels playing flawed character roles such as in Matchstick Men, being deeply troubled but having redeemable moments.

Might of agreed, but I sat through 5 minutes of "Gotti"

Jason Isaacs ( Lucius Malfoy ) has been a fantastic villain in a bunch of movies.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might of agreed, but I sat through 5 minutes of "Gotti"

Jason Isaacs ( Lucius Malfoy ) has been a fantastic villain in a bunch of movies.
:lol: Not everyone is as lucky or gifted as Christopher Plummer or Clint Eastwood, even some of the best actors make some horrible movies...some never recover. Bruce Willis, Travolta, De Niro, all come to mind on comically horrid decision making, like they all told their agents to sit one out or something.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christopher Waltz plays a great villain.
Definitely! Even movies like "Carnage" where no one would argue him being a villainous character, but absolutely a prick....but a likeable prick haha

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a Harry Potter fan, but Jason Isaacs was great as MU Lorca in ST Discovery. IMO Michael Shannon could be a great villain too. Probably the only one who was actually somewhat kinda sorta interesting in the Superman movie.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Harry Potter fan, but Jason Isaacs was great as MU Lorca in ST Discovery. IMO Michael Shannon could be a great villain too. Probably the only one who was actually somewhat kinda sorta interesting in the Superman movie.
Love Micheal Shannon! He’s definitely one of my favorite more modern actors. He’s incredible in Midnight Special & Take Shelter. But for bad guy it’s hard not considering his work in Premium Rush. Could be his towering height, his stare or his maniacal laugh but he certainly pulls it off

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, Take Shelter turned me into a big fan of his. Incredible flick. Shotgun Stories too.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Limetown; watched four episodes last night Highly Recommended. Part mystery, sci fi and downright weird..

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gary Oldman is leagues better than Travolta. And you left out a couple of his best villain roles:

Léon:

1614132967095.png

and True Romance:

1614133063126.png

But it's hard to beat Alan Rickman, especially if your first movie role is this:

1614133155544.png

no title necessary :bigstar:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.