• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately. I fast forwarded through some of that and the entire fly episode. The Jesse character was nonsensical garbage.
Fly was one of the best episodes of TV ever. Like, it was clever storytelling, clever cinematography and showed how they were becoming kings but no different from their first RV cook.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Started the SE4 of "Fargo"

The doubts I had at the end of SE3 are more apparent. I get that it's supposed to be a serialized focus on bizarre crime in the Midwest but what is the show about? It's baroque to a fault sometimes and if the performances weren't good I don't know that I'd continue watching.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup. I think it was right after Gabon (Probst became an EP) when the shift in tone/focus happened. FWIW I thought the last season was unbelievably disappointing, but the one before it was really good. I like Gabon, most people don't however.

Finished s1. Wow, how far they have come.

You guys weren't kidding about alphabetical order.

Will check S2 (Australia) soon, curious to see how much it changed in just the second round. Do you know if the Australia contestants got to see all of S1 before they started filming? Or are they sort of going into it cold? Sounds like in later years, season N+1 is already filming by the time they do the live finale if season N.

Watching S13 Cook Islands now where they made the... interesting...decision to separate contestants by race.

LOLled at the first episode when the white people tribe comes in 3rd but their jock dude just has the biggest smug white man look as he is like "yeah, we won!!!" (despite being WELL behind 1st and 2nd and only barely beating the 4th team)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Will check S2 (Australia) soon, curious to see how much it changed in just the second round. Do you know if the Australia contestants got to see all of S1 before they started filming? Or are they sort of going into it cold? Sounds like in later years, season N+1 is already filming by the time they do the live finale if season N.

Watching S13 Cook Islands now where they made the... interesting...decision to separate contestants by race.

LOLled at the first episode when the white people tribe comes in 3rd but their jock dude just has the biggest smug white man look as he is like "yeah, we won!!!" (despite being WELL behind 1st and 2nd and only barely beating the 4th team)
Season 2 had some strategy because they saw what happened. Either it wasn't fully fleshed out yet or the producers hadn't committed themselves to focusing on that aspect. SE1 is a different piece of television than SE2 so I find it hard to compare them.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also how baller was it when Probst goes up to the dude and is like: now that your alphabetical order is screwed up, who you votin' for?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Season 2 had some strategy because they saw what happened. Either it wasn't fully fleshed out yet or the producers hadn't committed themselves to focusing on that aspect. SE1 is a different piece of television than SE2 so I find it hard to compare them.

Yeah, the thing that seems so different about S1 is that the contestants didn't really know what they signed up for. Maybe they did some research on the foreign source material, but back then its not like you could just go online to a torrent site and watch old versions of a foreign game show.

(*******, I'm not spoilering this...I'd never even watched a season of the show prior to now and I knew who won)
So you did have people who were legitimately like "I don't like what this is becoming" in response to attempts at strategy...anyone signing up for a later season is going to know what's up beforehand. The reaction to Richard Hatch's strategies is interesting...by the standards of any of other seasons I have seen, he played the most honest game I can imagine, but it seems like people HATED him for it. He was cocky, but he basically was honest with the other players and stayed true to his allies as long as they stayed true to him.

Also...man...S7 had some stuff that felt old/dated/"you can't do that anymore" but S1 was a whole 'nother level, especially with having an openly gay man on the show.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing that seems so different about S1 is that the contestants didn't really know what they signed up for. Maybe they did some research on the foreign source material, but back then its not like you could just go online to a torrent site and watch old versions of a foreign game show.

(*******, I'm not spoilering this...I'd never even watched a season of the show prior to now and I knew who won)
So you did have people who were legitimately like "I don't like what this is becoming" in response to attempts at strategy...anyone signing up for a later season is going to know what's up beforehand. The reaction to Richard Hatch's strategies is interesting...by the standards of any of other seasons I have seen, he played the most honest game I can imagine, but it seems like people HATED him for it. He was cocky, but he basically was honest with the other players and stayed true to his allies as long as they stayed true to him.

Also...man...S7 had some stuff that felt old/dated/"you can't do that anymore" but S1 was a whole 'nother level, especially with having an openly gay man on the show.
And having a Vet being like: "I don't know how I feel about havin a queer on the island. He's ok I guess."

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished Evil s1 as well as The Flight Attendant s1.

Really enjoyed them both.

I've also been rewatching the animated Harley Quinn show a bit and once again I'm shocked how brilliant it is compared to most of DCs live action stuff. Unquestionably one of the funniest shows I've seen in recent years, so if you're ok with adult animation and haven't seen it yet I really can't recommend it enough.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's also the first 3 minutes of the aforementioned Harley Quinn show, if y'all still need convincing ;)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
market.jpg

Wow!

I was searching for something to watch last night and refined my Youtube search to "British dramas". I stumbled on this 2 part series and gave it a go.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, DNA was not utilized as it is now for catching bad guys and gals. It was still being developed and really used for paternity cases. Dr Alec Jeffreys was at the forefront of DNA testing/development. He developed a way to read everyone's DNA to create a "fingerprint" for them.

When 2 young Leicestershire girls are found murdered in 1983/1987, the local police are stumped as to who the culprit(s) is.

DCS David Baker is leading the investigation(inquiry) and when his team thinks that they have caught the killer, something just isn't right.

He contacts Jeffreys to see if there is a way that he can use science/DNA to include/exclude the suspect(s). And so, the first ever DNA crime case was underway.

Absolutely fascinating! As with many British dramas, so well done. It captures the feel of the community during the murders, the tense manhunt, and of course, the science.

DNA is now at the forefront around the world when it comes to solving crimes. All due to this man and his team....and the DCS and his!

This is based on a true story. Doesn't get much better than this!

4.75/5.

Here they are.....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Aw guys, I'm totally ashamed to admit it, but 90 Day Fiance gets me in every year. Every year.

• Haha
Reactions: otc

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equinox on Netflix. Entertaining, but not great. Apparently the strange language in the series has the same word for "****" as Americans, so the language is likely fake.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This_Is_Personal_The_Hunt_For_The_Yorkshire_Ripper._ITV.jpg

Another VERY good British series!

Back in the 70's, a maniac was murdering women in the Yorkshire area and the police were stumped. Was it a local? Was it someone who hated "ladies of the night"? Was it someone passing through the area?

This 3+ hour series took me along for a ride as the police seem to botch the investigation as more and more women are killed.

This review isn't about that. It's about the acting/dramatization and overall quality of this program. This is good stuff. It's not a who-dun-it....but a solid crime drama.

My 2nd or 3rd time watching.

4/5.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ There's also The Ripper : a docuseries in 4 parts on Netflix (at least in these parts) about the same killer.

I caught it a few days ago and thought it was quite well made.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This_Is_Personal_The_Hunt_For_The_Yorkshire_Ripper._ITV.jpg

Another VERY good British series!

Back in the 70's, a maniac was murdering women in the Yorkshire area and the police were stumped. Was it a local? Was it someone who hated "ladies of the night"? Was it someone passing through the area?

This 3+ hour series took me along for a ride as the police seem to botch the investigation as more and more women are killed.

This review isn't about that. It's about the acting/dramatization and overall quality of this program. This is good stuff. It's not a who-dun-it....but a solid crime drama.

My 2nd or 3rd time watching.

4/5.

@ter1413 you might enjoy this series (3 feature length episodes)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads