• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Reaction score
I remember our teacher reading aloud to the class replacing n-word with slave and for us to not say the n-word. I also hated when she made students read aloud because half the class was stupid as shit and could barely read. I’d be done with the chapter reading on my own by the time some of the kids got through 2 pages. It was like listening to Floyd Mayweather Jr trying to read.
Slave Jim?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha...yeah. It’s obvious you guys haven’t read it. It’s not a book (like Huck Finn) with racist characters or that attempts to examine racism. No one’s lobbying to end all art in the name of wokeness.

Much of it is just cartoonish gay jokes. (One segment is literally a popular joke/urban legend from elementary school: one of the superheroes kills a hamster by stuffing it up his butt, and the takeaway is like, Hurr hurr gay people, amirite?).
There is an important plot point that later involves that hamster, just sayin'

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This line of thinking and 'correcting' fictional stories/characters baffles me. It's like the hysteria over the plot of JK Rowling's upcoming book - like we're all totally cool with a book about a serial killer but a trans serial killer is somehow beyond the pale? It's a ridiculous, Mary Whitehouse-esque level of pearl clutching and soft censorship.
Think of it more like an update. In the comic homosexuality is held over certain people's heads like an anvil, where today it wouldn't cause a ripple. Not pearl clutching, just updating to make the story more believable to a modern audience.

Not every change in an adaptation is a concession to the PC police, and only the truly paranoid see it that way.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remember it saying something about painting being fun, and I thought "that's preposterous" and checked out...
That was actually "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", not "Huckleberry Finn"...

Think of it more like an update. In the comic homosexuality is held over certain people's heads like an anvil, where today it wouldn't cause a ripple. Not pearl clutching, just updating to make the story more believable to a modern audience.
Interestingly, the comics were only written about 14 years ago (or 10 or 11 to 14 years ago), so they're pretty recent. It's interesting to see how views have changed (maybe only in some segments of society) since that time.

Has anyone watched "The Preacher", based on another Ennis comic series? The TV series was quite different from the comics, but I enjoyed it and thought the casting was really good, too.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hulu is offering a free ad-free month- is there anything actually worth watching?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was actually "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", not "Huckleberry Finn"...

Interestingly, the comics were only written about 14 years ago (or 10 or 11 to 14 years ago), so they're pretty recent. It's interesting to see how views have changed (maybe only in some segments of society) since that time.

Has anyone watched "The Preacher", based on another Ennis comic series? The TV series was quite different from the comics, but I enjoyed it and thought the casting was really good, too.
Preacher was fantastic...
And not without it's own controversial content.
Like god dressing up in a Dalmatian costume, and for the right price he'd let you put it in his can.
I think there's a similar scene in Huckleberry Finn.

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hulu is offering a free ad-free month- is there anything actually worth watching?
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Orville- I think that's all I've watched on it lately.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok dumbfuck, The Turner Diaries, The Camp of the Saints, and The Birth of a Nation are works of fiction that are explicitly fucking racist.
True that.

Also, regarding trans people, sex is biological, gender is socially constructed roles.

If a guy wants to be a woman and identifies as that, whatever. I'll call her a woman then. Big deal.

OldTown

Reaction score
No, she's an author, not an MD, biologist, geneticist, etc.
That is a terrible argument. Saying someone can't have an opinion on a topic simply because they don't have an advanced level of knowledge in the area of study is ridiculous. That is the whole reason they are experts, to share their evidence to the layman. It's the people who have no actual evidence from scientists that are promoting something as fact that need to stop, not what J.K. Rowling is doing.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a terrible argument. Saying someone can't have an opinion on a topic simply because they don't have an advanced level of knowledge in the area of study is ridiculous. That is the whole reason they are experts, to share their evidence to the layman. It's the people who have no actual evidence from scientists that are promoting something as fact that need to stop, not what J.K. Rowling is doing.
If I made that argument you would be right. I didn't so you aren't.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's