• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha...yeah. It’s obvious you guys haven’t read it. It’s not a book (like Huck Finn) with racist characters or that attempts to examine racism. No one’s lobbying to end all art in the name of wokeness.

Much of it is just cartoonish gay jokes. (One segment is literally a popular joke/urban legend from elementary school: one of the superheroes kills a hamster by stuffing it up his butt, and the takeaway is like, Hurr hurr gay people, amirite?).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, literature was pretty much created for moral guidance, so idk.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much of it is just cartoonish gay jokes. (One segment is literally a popular joke/urban legend from elementary school: one of the superheroes kills a hamster by stuffing it up his butt, and the takeaway is like, Hurr hurr gay people, amirite?).
And?

It might be eye-rollingly juvenile but some people do talk like that in real life.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha...yeah. It’s obvious you guys haven’t read it. It’s not a book (like Huck Finn) with racist characters or that attempts to examine racism. No one’s lobbying to end all art in the name of wokeness.

I never actually read the whole book of Huck Finn. I just read parts of it in class in HS.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And?

It might be eye-rollingly juvenile but some people do talk like that in real life.
No, I get what you’re saying, it’s just that you haven’t read it. It’s not a matter of one or two characters with crap views because That’s how life is, man... or That’s how people talk and I’m not shying away from it!

It’s just really retrograde shit, crudely presented, made even worse by the distance of a few years. Don’t know how else to explain it.

I still finished it. There’s some things he does well with the medium. There’s just no reason to have a crudely bigoted adaptation. (And you’ll notice there’s plenty of bigoted speech in the adaptation as well...but the work as a whole is not).

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hughie was a small dude, Plus he was a conspiracy theorist - both of which were part of why he did the things he did.

MM should be a much bigger guy

The French guy is completely wrong - in the book he is this kind of happy-go-lucky unflappable dude. The French guy in the series is basically the opposite.

The Homelander character should also be a much larger more imposing guy.
Reminds me of Tom Cruise being cast as Jack Reacher (supposed to be like 6’6, 250lbs)

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get how anyone who has actually read The Boys comic could be surprised that they are making some major changes to get it produced and televised. The comic is fucked up, period, and I def prefer the show.

Then again I've never really understood the importance of "staying true" to the origin, I feel like history has proven you should just always assume any adaptation ever will be shit, anything else is a pleasant surprise.

Sure you can hope it turns out good (Netflix please don't fuck up Sandman) but either way an adaptation can't lessen the original work no matter how bad or different it turns out. Different mediums/adaptations for different purposes/audiences/eras.

Note: @Big A I realize the above could be read as me trying to shit on or dismiss your viewpoint but fwiw that was not my intention, I just wanted to share my own general opinion :laugh:

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never actually read the whole book of Huck Finn. I just read parts of it in class in HS.
I just remember it saying something about painting being fun, and I thought "that's preposterous" and checked out...

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a ninth grader, it kind of functioned like dangerous rap music in a way, where after reading the forbidden word over and over, it might roll too easily off the tongue, say in gym or math class. Happened to a friend of mine. His long stammered explanation was a torture to behold.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just remember it saying something about painting being fun, and I thought "that's preposterous" and checked out...
I remember our teacher reading aloud to the class replacing n-word with slave and for us to not say the n-word. I also hated when she made students read aloud because half the class was stupid as shit and could barely read. I’d be done with the chapter reading on my own by the time some of the kids got through 2 pages. It was like listening to Floyd Mayweather Jr trying to read.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember our teacher reading aloud to the class replacing n-word with slave and for us to not say the n-word. I also hated when she made students read aloud because half the class was stupid as shit and could barely read. I’d be done with the chapter reading on my own by the time some of the kids got through 2 pages. It was like listening to Floyd Mayweather Jr trying to read.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol. That’s literally how some of my high school classmates would read. The teacher would always call on them to read out loud so they would actually be forced to read something.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's