• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Stinkdyr

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying Tiger King on Netflix.

Carole Baskin totally did it! She reminds me so much of my psychopath sister it's uncanny. Very creepy.

Cmon now....she is no more guilty than OJ is.

Stinkdyr

Reaction score
On Youtube, Making the Band 3, season 1 & 2 where Puffy makes Danity Kane.
I find myself watching more and more YouTube content, and very little old school commercial tv. There are some great tropical sailing channels on YouTube now. People have gotten MUCH better at film making. Capt Kika is hot.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find myself watching more and more YouTube content, and very little old school commercial tv. There are some great tropical sailing channels on YouTube now. People have gotten MUCH better at film making. Capt Kika is hot.
She could trim my jib ifyaknowhatimean

kika.jpg

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The plot against America is very good. Based on the great book by Philip Roth.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ozark is rote and boring as ****.

1 star, at most.

While maybe a bit underwhelming, I think it’s suitable for quarantine. It’s got some nice qualities, and the first two seasons went down very easy.

It was also faintly suffused in despair — half of which I attributed to the wife’s absence at the time (this was a safe, *You can’t get mad at me for watching* show). But the other half is probably the show’s fault. It was a good chance for Bateman to play against type, and he does it well. The problem for me was that unlike Breaking Bad, he wasn’t a fundamentally good guy to begin with; he just seemed like a fairly blank, moral tabula rasa who values money and little else. They should have at least given him more compassion for the people he’s forced to rope into his situation. Instead, he just kind of remains blankly ruthless without any sort of arc.

I gotta disagree about the acting, though. Laura Linney is always solid. The kid actors are surprisingly good. His blond girl protege is fantastic, and I probably kept watching because her storyline is so well done. You can at least somewhat chalk up her circumstances to poverty, and if everything centered on her family, rather than a yuppie beholden to MEXICANS!, I think it’d work.

I’m not sure where they’re taking it, but Ihey need to decide pretty fast.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across Motherland: Fort Salem this week on Hulu. Well, technically it's on something called Freeform, but for practical purposes, it's on Hulu. Anyway, it's a cliched, teen type show, but set in an alternate history where the Salem witch trials involved real witches able to do real magic. And instead of getting burned at the stake, they cut a deal with the government to do all the military work. It's an interesting premise, and the show creators clearly did a lot of work figuring out the world building, but unfortunately, they didn't spend as much time on the actual storylines, which so far, focuses on three young witch recruits going through basic training. I think there's a potentially good show in there somewhere, but I'm not sure if they'll ever find it. Nonetheless, it goes down pretty painlessly, if you're inclined towards sci fi/fantasy type programming.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tiger king is so prurient i really want to be over with it. I know i know i can just stop watching it but it's the depth of the depravity and everything else that it's like I've been scarred already.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While maybe a bit underwhelming, I think it’s suitable for quarantine. It’s got some nice qualities, and the first two seasons went down very easy.

It was also faintly suffused in despair — half of which I attributed to the wife’s absence at the time (this was a safe, *You can’t get mad at me for watching* show). But the other half is probably the show’s fault. It was a good chance for Bateman to play against type, and he does it well. The problem for me was that unlike Breaking Bad, he wasn’t a fundamentally good guy to begin with; he just seemed like a fairly blank, moral tabula rasa who values money and little else. They should have at least given him more compassion for the people he’s forced to rope into his situation. Instead, he just kind of remains blankly ruthless without any sort of arc.

I gotta disagree about the acting, though. Laura Linney is always solid. The kid actors are surprisingly good. His blond girl protege is fantastic, and I probably kept watching because her storyline is so well done. You can at least somewhat chalk up her circumstances to poverty, and if everything centered on her family, rather than a yuppie beholden to MEXICANS!, I think it’d work.

I’m not sure where they’re taking it, but Ihey need to decide pretty fast.

I agree that the acting was good. The character dramatization wasn't. They want to portray them as anti-heros, or something, but it never works. I think Tony Soprano worked, at least for me, as an anti-hero because of the mundane **** he had to deal with, and his vulnerability. We didn't necessarily like him, but we could empathize with him. The characters in Ozark are just power (or money) hungry robots. Not only are they not likable, there don't have any characteristics we can empathize with, unless you are laundering tens of millions of dollars for the mob, politicians, extorting political favors, etc.

I haven't watched Breaking Bad yet.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy ****, man. Watch Breaking Bad! And after that, you’ll have Better Call Saul to look forward to. That’s like, what...at least 80 episodes of greatness.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought that "life" (****) imitating "art" (****) imitating "life" (****) informed by (****) idiocy had run the gamut of all possible (****) weirdnesses....

Hardy har ******* har. :brick:

No wonder at least half the networks with any semblance of humanity at all are no longer airing these idiotic circus sideshows, or have been banned from doing so.

Nikos

Reaction score
I agree that the acting was good. The character dramatization wasn't. They want to portray them as anti-heros, or something, but it never works. I think Tony Soprano worked, at least for me, as an anti-hero because of the mundane **** he had to deal with, and his vulnerability. We didn't necessarily like him, but we could empathize with him. The characters in Ozark are just power (or money) hungry robots. Not only are they not likable, there don't have any characteristics we can empathize with, unless you are laundering tens of millions of dollars for the mob, politicians, extorting political favors, etc.

I haven't watched Breaking Bad yet.

I think that is the point with Ozark. Same as in Succession, where all characters are intolerable.
I haven't finished Breaking Bad either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads