• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What trousers to match tan shoes with?

B-Rogue

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Loake Victor (Derby shoes) in tan colour which I'm planning to wear with a white shirt with light blue/aqua vertical stripes and a navy 2 button blazer. The belt will be matching the colour of the shoes however I am stuck with the trousers and socks colour. I have heard that the shoes should be darker than the colour of the trousers and the socks should match the colour of either shoes or trousers. Do these rules apply in my case? If so what colour should my trousers/jeans be? Below is a picture of the items I'm wearing.

PS: I'm assuming this is the right place for this type of post?

Last edited:

bertie

Reaction score
That outfit is more CM than SW&D so you may want to try there. Yes the general rule is pants lighter than shoes and socks can match shoes or pants. If they match your pants they extend the leg length. Easiest pant would be light grey - that is classic with a blue jacket. You could also have khaki colored pants. Those are your conservative choices. You could stretch a bit and maybe get colored chinos.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
Thank you bertie. I have asked the mods to move this to the CM forum.

Light grey sounds good. I'm hoping jeans would be ok? Or do I have to stick with trousers?

bertie

Reaction score
That's tougher for me to answer. It depends on context I think. If the jeans are not dark it could work though there wil likely be folks who disagree with me even on that. I might suggest you rethink the shirt for jeans as it would be too dressy. Much better would be a Oxford cloth button down. I'm presuming you are not planning to wear a tie with this.

Also there is a thread in SW&D that deals with casual blazers so you may want to skim through that for some ideas.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
It's a colleague's leaving party which will be a meal followed by a night out in town (pubs and clubs). Not planning to wear a tie.

I have seen light grey jeans in several shops (M&S, Next, John Lewis) so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't mind wearing trousers as long as they're jean style rather than suit style.

You know, I love tan coloured shoes but they're so damn difficult to match. One's pretty much limited to grey, or light coloured chinos.
uhoh.gif

Will check the casual blazers thread as well for some ideas.

bertie

Reaction score
Yes - i don't have tan but light brown and find I only wear them with light to medium grey and lighter shades of blue as well as cream/white. I have eyed a color called "pine" which is a variation on tan but fear they would languish in my closet as pretty as they are.

Also if you go with jeans or chinos really reconsider the shirt as it will create a certain incoherence with the rest.

bertie

Reaction score
Yes - i don't have tan but light brown and find I only wear them with light to medium grey and lighter shades of blue as well as cream/white. I have eyed a color called "pine" which is a variation on tan but fear they would languish in my closet as pretty as they are.

Also if you go with jeans or chinos really reconsider the shirt as it will create a certain incoherence with the rest.

B-Rogue

Reaction score
I have found some nice light grey trousers and ordered them so might be ok to wear that shirt still.

I have seen quite a few people wear these colour shoes with dark blue jeans (like the ones that the model wearing the jacket has in my picture above). The combination looked quite pleasing to the eye strangely enough. Probably is a case of rules are there to be broken? lol

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light gray POW trousers could look nice with those. Or just plain of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads