1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What to wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Umichfashionbiz, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Umichfashionbiz

Umichfashionbiz Member

Hello, I have read this forum for quite awhile and have decided to become a member to contribute and take advantage of the great resources the website offers.

I will be attending the University of Michigan this fall for a fashion business major, and I need the appropriate wardrobe. I live in Florida and have about a $1000 budget for clothes. I really like ralph lauren and tend to dress conservatively with a big hint of my own style. I just need to open up to new fashions and incorporate new items and shoes into my wardrobe. Links and prices and help from you seasoned fashion gurus will be much appreciated.

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I will be attending the University of Michigan this fall for a fashion business major, and I need the appropriate wardrobe. I live in Florida

[​IMG]

3. Jetta

Jetta Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to wait until you are there to shop, since fashion will be different in FL than MI. If you are used to FL fashion, you will be very surprised when you get there [​IMG] As a transplant to FL, the fashion here compared to my native NJ is very, very different.

4. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

5. Umichfashionbiz

Umichfashionbiz Member

Thanks, but why should I wait until I get there, I mean, khakis and oxfords and polos will be fashionable wherever I go, and I am not going to totally conform, that's just the way I am

6. atalante

atalante Member

years ago i made the same transition, from florida to western mass. you have no idea how much you'll have to prepare. j.crew, ll bean are your friends. long underwear will be your friend. patagonia also. cover your head, wear scarves. scarves are fun, actually.

i'm sure there are plenty of great coats from yoox or others, too...

7. Umichfashionbiz

Umichfashionbiz Member

Ya, when I went to New York, I loved wearing scarves, so J. Crew and Ralph Lauren will be good choices?

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Ya, when I went to New York, I loved wearing scarves

Don't you wear scarves in Fla.

[​IMG]

9. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

Ya, when I went to New York, I loved wearing scarves, so J. Crew and Ralph Lauren will be good choices?
    Definately.
    I'd really suggest a good ski jacket or heavy leather jacket

10. Stax

Stax Senior Member

[​IMG]

11. philosophe

philosophe Distinguished Member

Prepare to freeze! Stock up on sweaters and shirts you can layer. Layering is the key to winter warmth. Buy yourself a parka for the dead of winter, a leather jacket, and something in between. Spring for a decent pair of boots for the winter. LLBean has lots of good options. Check out the possibilities at Sierra Trading Post. They often have great deals on everything from wool socks to duffle coats from England.

12. Umichfashionbiz

Umichfashionbiz Member

Wow Stax, where did you find those? They are trendy and show some school spirit

13. Stax

Stax Senior Member

14. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Distinguished Member

Go blue!

Umich alumni here. Fashion business major? I didn't know we offered that at our school....is that in the art school? I don't think we have too many fashionistas in our school...Fashion in michigan is kind of..boring. If you really wanted fashion business you would have done better off in new york I believe..heheh.

15. Umichfashionbiz

Umichfashionbiz Member

Tolietduck, you're from Umich? And I'm kinda forming my own major...If i can't pull off fashion business, I'm doing business/linguistics and I'll just take some fashion electives, but I definitely want to go into the fashion industry for business. Clothes are just too fun, lol. What are some of the trends you saw at Umich?