What to wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I have been asked by a very close friend to attend the unveiling of a headstone at a cemetery this Sunday. I believe this is 1 year after the death of their relative and, in my mind, this is a sort of celebration of their life and the unveiling of the headstone is a tribute. In other words, it is not a grim affair.

The problem is that I don't own a black suit, black sport coat or black shoes. I have black pants and a black shirt. I have a navy chalk-stripe suit and a black/grey chunky hounds tooth sport coat. I have dark brown shoes and many different shirts/ties.

What should I wear? A small part of me wants to put on black pants, a black shirt and the grey/black sport coat, but I don't want to look like a waiter. Then again, I don't want to offend anyone, and seeing as how this is a Russian/Jewish event, I am 99% sure most men will wear black regardless of whether it's a happy event or not (Russians love black for everything).

Thanks guys!

2. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

you have black shorts dont you

[​IMG]

3. Mr. Moo

Dude, this is serious threak. Stop with the predictable bullshit. The shorts are navy.

4. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

Dude, this is serious threak. Stop with the predictable bullshit. The shorts are navy.

my bad looked black on my monitor
    pair it up with some navy socks = good to go

5. Mr. Moo

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I don't think black is completely necessary, as long as the outfit is somber with little to no "color". Navy, charcoal, white, black, etc should make up the core of the outfits color.

Wear a striped or patterned tie, white pocket square, and a well fitting jacket to set you apart from the waitstaff. Don't carry a towel or platter either.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I wouldn't wear the chalk-stripe. Maybe the sportscoat with grey or charcoal pants.

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Navy or charcoal are going to be just fine for the occasion. I don't own a black suit, and in the many unfortunate occasions over the past few years in which I've had to attend funerals or wakes, navy or charcoal did the job admirably. Just make sure you pick a dark shade of navy and not a vibrant, light, or colorful one.

9. Mr. Moo

I don't think black is completely necessary, as long as the outfit is somber with little to no "color". Navy, charcoal, white, black, etc should make up the core of the outfits color. Wear a striped or patterned tie, white pocket square, and a well fitting jacket to set you apart from the waitstaff. Don't carry a towel or platter either.
    Navy or charcoal are going to be just fine for the occasion. I don't own a black suit, and in the many unfortunate occasions over the past few years in which I've had to attend funerals or wakes, navy or charcoal did the job admirably. Just make sure you pick a dark shade of navy and not a vibrant, light, or colorful one.
    I wouldn't wear the chalk-stripe. Maybe the sportscoat with grey or charcoal pants.
    Thank you guys - much appreciated. Would a chalk-stripe not work in this case? I don't own a solid suit. [​IMG]

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i think navy and as inconspicuous as possible. this is one day you don't want people noticing your clothes.

11. Closer

Closer Senior member

Moo, If you feel like shopping, now would be a good time to add a solid charcoal suit to your arsenal. My advise is to not be cheap, and buy somthing you really like since it is a wardrope staple.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

i think navy and as inconspicuous as possible. this is one day you don't want people noticing your clothes.
    Solid navy would be my choice as well.

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I don't think chalk stripes would be somber enough. Pinstripes would be okay.

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Mr Moo,
    Since, as you stated, it is more a celebration of the mans life and therefore not a grim affair,
    stay away from 'funeral attire'. I see no problem at all with wearing your chalk stripe suit.
    Were it me, I'd even wear brown shoes. The only thing I, personally would not wear, are polka dots or loud colors. Whatever you decide, you are still going to be the best dressed man there.
    Let us know how it all turned out, and what the others wore. I'll wager you'll come out aces.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mr Moo,
    Since, as you stated, it is more a celebration of the mans life and therefore not a grim affair,
    stay away from 'funeral attire'. I see no problem at all with wearing your chalk stripe suit.
    Were it me, I'd even wear brown shoes. The only thing I, personally would not wear, are polka dots or loud colors. Whatever you decide, you are still going to be the best dressed man there.
    Let us know how it all turned out, and what the others wore. I'll wager you'll come out aces.

I tend to agree but I've been to a couple of "Celebration of Life" services recently and everyone was dressed in traditional funeral attire, myself included. Those who were not seemed out of place. This occasion seems much different though, so it'll be great if Moo reports back to us as you've suggested.