1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

what to wear with window pane jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by paco_deluca, Jan 26, 2011.

1. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

should i only go with solid colors? like the one below?

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

Nah, not with a pane of this width, which is almost a solid or neutral. I would go for a more densely striped shirt, though and definitely not a tattersall or anything having anything horizontal going on. Could probably even pair with a paisley tie, but that might be too much.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think a lot of traditionalists would say solids, but I think it can be spiced up with a medium or small checked shirt. I kind of feel that nii, or spoo would do something interesting with it, playing with colors and mixing paterns. I think it has to look pretter deliberate to make it work, like an equally dandy pocket square, otherwise it will just look like you didn't know how to match it.

I have heard the opposite, but I feel that mixing patterns looks best when the width of the overall patterns are different. Like the wide panes with smaller checks. Whenever I see checks that are equal to the width of pinstripes to me it looks like an optical illusion.

4. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

I think a lot of traditionalists would say solids, but I think it can be spiced up with a medium or small checked shirt. I kind of feel that nii, or spoo would do something interesting with it, playing with colors and mixing paterns. I think it has to look pretter deliberate to make it work, like an equally dandy pocket square, otherwise it will just look like you didn't know how to match it.

I have heard the opposite, but I feel that mixing patterns looks best when the width of the overall patterns are different. Like the wide panes with smaller checks. Whenever I see checks that are equal to the width of pinstripes to me it looks like an optical illusion.

that is exactly what i am trying to avoid.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Then I would stick to my second paragraph. Also i think bengal stripes would look good.

6. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Perhaps a puppytooth, which has the virtue of not really being a pattern, but still adds a smidgen of interest.