• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with the attached tweed jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeRaymond

Reaction score
Good afternoon Gents,

I have just purchased my first tweed, and was wondering what would be the usual go to for the rest of the outfit for a smart casual occasion.

My thoughts for trouses would be either dark brown or blue corduroy trousers (turn ups).

Shoe wise, Loake, Eaton's (brown swede)

White Emmett shirt, with large cheque in simular colour to blazer.

Thank you for your time,

GH

Edit: The tweed is olive and brown.

Last edited:

IChen

Reaction score
I wouldn't do dark brown I think. Probably light grey white or olive or maybe blue.

dusty01

Reaction score
A nice dark pair of denim would not be out of place, maybe a dark indigo. You said the one you have will be of similar colors, it could look odd and could even be hard to look at. Try to find a shirt that contrasts the rest of the outfit without without picking a loud color. I would say a solid white would be the best option, and don't forget a solid white cotton pocket square!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And don't fail to consider a bow tie with that jacket.

Since I tend to think of tweed jackets as being cooler weather clothing (exceptions exist), I might pair it with the sort of bow tie I regard as a "winter" tie. Say, a substantial wool bow tie. If you go for corduroys, as you indicate you might, they would fit in very nicely with the whole cold weather thing.

But naturally, a "non-seasonal" silk bow tie could also work perfectly well. As could non-corduroy pants.

While I respect Dusty01's right to suggest wearing jeans with your jacket, I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the look. While jeans with jacket can sometimes look okay if one is young enough (although it's often not the best look, even then), once past college age it becomes increasingly difficult to justify.

IChen

Reaction score
I sorta agree with the jeans comment. It's a hard look to complete well and i would say chinos instead.

GeorgeRaymond

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I shall not be wearing denim with the tweed, as it reminds me of all the young men around where I live on a Saturday night (Loughton), Jacket a size too small so the button/s cant be done up, skin tight, stretchy blue denim, the color of the cool blue Doritos chips packet, black pointed winkle picker shoes and a tie that only goes down to their 3rd button.

Regarding the Bow tie, unfortunately, I just don't think I could pull it off...

At present I am leaning towards either light grey trousers, white chinos or mustard corduroys. I will be popping up the West end tomorrow, and may pop in SuitSupply also with my jacket to find what would be best suited.

I will keep you posted.

GH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads