• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with dark/black jeans

vincent

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am always unsure as to what "top" would go well with dark/black jeans.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wade M

Reaction score
Depends on where you're going....Genreally for me, however, it's about the simple contrast. Personally, I like a nice light coloured polo shirt, or a light t w/ darker blazer, nothing too busy. Let the jeans do the talking
wink.gif
--WadeM

Babar

Reaction score
I would never wear anything else black with black jeans. Other than that, the sky's pretty much the limit; e.g. a yellow polo, or an olive tee, or a red hoodie, are all fine.

Reaction score
I do a warlock look with black jeans, black t, black pointy shoes, gold pentacle pendant and a black denim "witchy-witch" hat.

Goblin

Reaction score
I don't currently own a pair of black jeans, but I never had a problem wearing black t-shirts with black jeans as long as the shirt was not the same "shade" of black as the jeans - I've often worn a very faded black concert t-shirt with less-faded black jeans and sneakers. I think it depends on the look you're going for and what you're confident with.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
please do not wear dark brown.

I'm behind this 100%. Dark Brown and Dark Blue both look horrible with black, particularly the former. I've never seen an instance that has caused me to feel differently. Black shirt with indigo jeans is 'a-ok' though.

Roland

Reaction score
I agree with what pretty much what everyone was saying.

In the summer, I try to wear color. I'm not a fan of black w/ black jeans or 1 wash jeans when its 80+ degrees.

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
please do not wear dark brown.

Unless, of course, it is a Domokun tee shirt.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'm behind this 100%. Dark Brown and Dark Blue both look horrible with black, particularly the former. I've never seen an instance that has caused me to feel differently. Black shirt with indigo jeans is 'a-ok' though.

I do agree if we're taking about black jeans, I love to mix black and navy when I'm more dressed up.

gza

Reaction score
Overall, I think non-overdyed black jeans are quite versatile, though less so than indigo denim. I would say that black denim in which only the warp is dyed gives more of a charcoal effect, and just like with dressier attire, charcoal goes with just about everything, while black is often difficult to match. Overdyed black jeans are another story. My favorite options for the latter would be a white button-front shirt, tan or olive drab military shirt, or black or maroon t shirt.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
I do agree if we're taking about black jeans, I love to mix black and navy when I'm more dressed up.

That's interesting...the conventional wisdom is that "rules" for color matching (i.e. no black with navy, excepting ties and shoes) are more important for formal/business wear than for streetwear.

Not that conventional wisdom is always right or even meaningful.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
That's interesting...the conventional wisdom is that "rules" for color matching (i.e. no black with navy, excepting ties and shoes) are more important for formal/business wear than for streetwear.

Not that conventional wisdom is always right or even meaningful.

Take a walk in Paris and you'll see how this particular bit is ignored there, with much style might I ad. I personnally love to wear a, gasp, black suit with a navy shirt or vice-versa but I'm definitely not into the I-banker look, which I think is a lifestyle faux-pas instead of a fashion one
tounge.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm definitely not into the I-banker look, which I think is a lifestyle faux-pas instead of a fashion one

touche! I agree whole-heartedly.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
touche! I agree whole-heartedly.

But frankly I try to treat their sartorial interests with more respect than "designer" clothing gets on the main forum...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads