• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with cordovan

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love cordovan leather shoes. But they aren't always that easy for me to pair with things, because I find the double soles of most of Alden's cordovan models make the shoes bulkier and less elegant. In particular, These shoes are a nice deal, but being plain toed, I think they would be a bit more difficult to match than say a pair of Norweigan bluchers or penny loafers. Any ideas?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones that you link are definitely more casual.

Tom

Reaction score
I disagree, plain toe oxfords can be dressy as you like. I think that those shoes are sweet. Wear them with anything from jeans to charcoal suit.

-Tom

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree, plain toe oxfords can be dressy as you like.  I think that those shoes are sweet.  Wear them with anything from jeans to charcoal suit.

-Tom
I think with a nice mid-grey, or Cambridge grey flannel trouser would look smashing.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not so much the color of cordovan I find hard to match -- that is simple -- it's more the plain toe style. Plain toe looks good with suits, because it is formal. But a plain toe with a double sole doesn't look formal to me because it is so bulky. that's the problem. If I have a bulkier shoe like that, I prefer it have some extra bells and whistles, i.e. saddle shoes or the split toe of a Norweigan.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should look at the alden fan shoes on the website of aldens of carmel (www.alden-of-carmel.com). I believe the following styles would wet your appetite (norwegian front square toe blucher oxford,chukka boot and high lace boots).

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not so much the color of cordovan I find hard to match -- that is simple -- it's more the plain toe style. Plain toe looks good with suits, because it is formal. But a plain toe with a double sole doesn't look formal to me because it is so bulky. that's the problem. If I have a bulkier shoe like that, I prefer it have some extra bells and whistles, i.e. saddle shoes or the split toe of a Norweigan.
Again, I'd say a flannel trouser. It's commonplace, I thought, to see a plain toe shoe with a flannel trouser. At least in New England.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That colour would work well with tweeds, especially the brownish/olive variety

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own those very shoes.

I find them very versatile.

Even though they have a double sole, I find that the plain toe makes them seem a bit sleeker than a brogued version.

I wear mine regularly with a navy blue suit. The suit in question is a Canali 3 button model, so it is a proper, formal suit, not a rustic suit. I really like the combination.

I also wear them often with less formal clothes. They look particularly good with grey flannel.

In short, for wear with grey or navy, these shoes are quite handsome, and can go from a more formal suit to casual quite easily. For this reason, these Aldens are one of my preferred travel shoes. When I'm packing light, it's nice to have a shoe that will fulfill a formal and informal function.

Kai

Giona Granata

Reaction score
Tweed plus Grey Flannel trousers is classical for that shoes.

I see them also with a navy blazer plus flannel trousers, or a navy blue suit.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had these shoes in the past (the Brooks version, with the steel eyelets-$100 more retail) and I always considered them to be weighty shoes for heavier weight fabrics (flannel, tweed, cavalry twill, corduroy). Formality is not an issue-they can be worn with cords and a sportshirt as easily as with a suit. I'd suggest that you avoid very tapered slacks-I think these shoes need a trouser with a larger leg opening and cuffs. My issue is seasonal versatility-I can't see these shoes with a lightweight fabric.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Except for sneakers, golf shoes and boat shoes all of my shoes are cordovans. I am older than most of the members of this forum and I recommend wearing your burgundy or black shell cordovan shoes with practically all of your casual attire or business attire.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
im bringing this one back from the dead because im wondering if anyone has any updated ideas on what to wear with cordovan

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking shell cordovan shoes or the cordovan color (aka burgundy)?

I wear shell cordovan shoes with everything, from the very casual to the formal suit. Everything except tuxedo. but if I can commision a black slipper in cordovan I'd wear it with a tuxedo.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I wear shell cordovan shoes with everything, from the very casual to the formal suit.

Same here. I have shell in several styles and colors and wear them with mostly everything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads