1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What to wear with boat shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DarthChipmunk, Mar 1, 2013.

1. DarthChipmunk

DarthChipmunk New Member

Hey guys,

New forum member here. I'm an almost-40, amply-sized guy from the south, plump you might say, who was just gifted some brown sperry topsiders. They're fine shoes and fit well, but I'm not sure what to wear with them. How can you compose an outfit to look ok with boat shoes? I tend to wear jeans or khakis with either polos or sportshirts most of the time.

Any advice or images would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Darth Chipmunk

2. simplec6

simplec6 Member

Navy shorts that hit right above the knee.

First things first though partna'. Lose the lbs. and get yourself in shape. You'll be a better and happier man, husband, dad, grandpa, boss, co-worker, buddy.

3. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

4. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

that should sooooooooo be your avatar.
    also, beige pants, with a white polo shirt, and navy sportscoat that has brass buttons. and, get in shape, read styleforum. this could be a new beginning.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

navy shorts-white shirt
    beige shorts-white shirt
    X colored shorts-white shirt

preferably while on the ocean with a "boat drink" in your hand.

6. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

wear them with a boat.

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Wearing them with jeans or chinos works pretty well- they're a brown leather casual shoe, unless you have the more sneakery versions. I would incline towards wearing socks when wearing them with pants. You can also wear them sockless with shorts in summer.

They're a perfect shoe for your typical wardrobe.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. ACSG

ACSG Member

I hope that the shoes you were gifted aren't the ladies' shoes from the ebay link you posted.

But as above. I've always worn them sockless with chinos or shorts. Wear the hell out of them until they feel like slippers. They have a short window of perfection when they fit perfectly, look like you wore them on a transatlantic solo, and haven't fallen apart.

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Patterned linen and/or cotton casual button-front shirt (could be a "sportshirt") is one of the, er, top options with boat shoes.