• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What to Wear with Black Non-Chuck Sneakers

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes,

I know that black and white chucks look great with about anything, but what about other black and white shoes that are a bit glossy rather than matte?

Specifically, I picked up a pair of these Rod Lavers:

and am having trouble pairing them with jeans/pants and a top. They are a bulkier shoe so work best with bootcut jeans.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is why I don't like black sneaks.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I am not a stylish guy because what doesn't go with black? You can't wear black shoes with jeans? News to me.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans.

Most of my sneakers are white (including a pair of Lavers that are exactly like yours but white), but I have a pair of black sambas. Whenever I wear them to me they just look odd. But then when I see other people wearing the same combo, it looks fine. It just takes time for me to get used to the look of black sneakers and jeans when I wear them, I guess.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just used to wearing sneaks with a lot of white or light colors in them. Black shoes seem a bit bottom-heavy to me. No matter what jeans I tried them with, it always looked very 'middle-school' to me.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
with those Lavers, I'd say shorts (preferably like Dickies shorts). Jeans look odd with black trainers that don't have much other color in them.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear blacks or strong colours, leaning towards the latter. Though I don't particularly like those shoes.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I would wear blacks or strong colours, leaning towards the latter. Though I don't particularly like those shoes.

They look better in person - that photo is of a size 7 or something, mine are 12s. Not as clunky.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans that are slightly distressed, and have a slight grey hue.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40