• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a white dress shirt and black blazer?

Subie Love

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have a question.

I'll be going to my first wedding next week and I need some advice. I'm wearing a nice, white dress shirt and a black blazer. I'm no good at color coordination and I'm not sure what color pants to wear. I have light khaki but I don't think it looks very good, especially with black shoes/belt. I have a black and brown dressy belt and black shoes.

Should I get different colored pants and wear black shoes or should I get brown shoes with khaki pants and match the belt accordingly?

Thanks!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear another blazer, particularly if the wedding is during the day

JJGooden

Reaction score
Not sure that a black blazer is right for a wedding, but if it's all you've got maybe go with grey pants? Do you not have a suit?

Subie Love

Reaction score
I would but I don't have one. :(

I'm 23, 6'0, and 145lbs. You think dark brown dress shoes, khaki pants would look best or go with a darker color pants and wear black shoes and belt? I feel like the latter would be WAY too much black for a day wedding.

Also, the wedding is not super formal or anything. I'm sure there will be lots of people in just khakis and a polo shirt.

JJGooden

Reaction score
Wow, you are rail thin, dude. I would stick with the black shoes. Brown shoes with a black blazer is a faux pas to me. See what the other guys think...

Subie Love

Reaction score
lol, yeah I'm a runner and a cyclist.

So if black shoes/belt/blazer, what color pants do you suggest?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gray or olive, and black shoes. The shoes aren't negotiable, brown shoes with a black blazer is a bad idea. Khakis are fine, but not in tan.

If you don't have black shoes, go with the tan khakis and brown shoes and buy a sweater instead. V neck, burgundy, navy, green, brown. Wear a tasteful tie.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gray or olive, and black shoes. The shoes aren't negotiable, brown shoes with a black blazer is a bad idea. Khakis are fine, but not in tan.
If you don't have black shoes, go with the tan khakis and brown shoes and buy a sweater instead. V neck, burgundy, navy, green, brown. Wear a tasteful tie.

I second the sweater idea.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Black suit can look too severe if the wedding is during the day, maybe a lighter color or light blue perhaps.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you must wear the black blazer. Buy wool light grey pants on the cheap at J Crew / H&M / Uniqlo / Gap. Wear black shoes and belt no question. Also skip the khaki, one pet peeve I have is khaki + black.

Pawz

Reaction score
Black is very somber. However, since you cannot change it, I suggest medium-gray trousers.

dasai

Reaction score
Hickory-stripe trousers, plus a black or grey vest if you can swing it. Tie should either be monochrome, or a conservative pattern in festive colors. Add a bowler hat for extra effect. :D

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest going sans blazer, get a good fitting and light shirt to with the khakis and brown shoes. If that's too cold, go with a sweater.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's all you have, another vote for gray slacks and black shoes. Also, I think you will find that your fiancee will resent you referring to it as your "first wedding". :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads