• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a tux for a wedding

willnyc

Reaction score
Alright, so I bit the bullet and am getting a MTM Isaia tux that I think will work well (1 button peak lapel, double vented that I can close up if I decide, besom pockets, grosgrain, flat front pants).

I think I want to do a pique shirt with a turndown collar, bowtie, and braces. I can't figure out what I want to do for a waist covering. I definitely don't want to do a modern vest, or a cummerbund, but the waistcoat at Brooks Brothers (the only place I can find a traditional one) doesn't appeal to me. Any ideas? What if I keep the jacket buttoned and skip the waist covering?

Would the Allen Edmonds Vinci be too casual a shoe to work with this ensemble? I definitely don't want to do patent leather.

And where can I buy a simple stud set?

And lastly, where is the best place to get a formal pique shirt custom made in NYC? 17 32.5 is a hard fit...

Thoughts? Thanks for the help...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must have a waist covering if you go with the bowtie, otherwise you'll look as if your on your way to the prom with all the other teenagers. I suggest a cumerbund if the waistcoat dosen't complete the look for you or you could always look elsewhere for the rest of your accesories.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shoes, wear at least a spit-shined black oxford.

You need to wear the waist covering. I suggest a cummerbund in grograin to match your tuxedo (and your bowtie). It won't make you look stupid or fat, and will barely be seen (assuming you keep the jacket on like you should). I find waistcoats with tuxedos made you look like a waiter or prom teenager, and at worst it looks like a 3 piece suit. Save the waistcoats for white tie, where at least there'll be some contrast.

Why are you so against the waist covering? You seem to want to do black tie properly in other aspects.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The advice given is correct.

Wear either a cummerbund or waistcoat.

Wear the correct shoes.

If it's the patent leather to which you object ... Brooks Brothers used to sell a calf version of the correct pump style shoe. However, it has been so long since I bought their shoes ... I have no idea if they still carry that particular shoe.

As for the custom shirt ... there is typically a minimum order when it comes to shirts ... so be ready just in the event the maker you choose has one.

Paul Stuart offers a simple stud set. And remember ... with a custom shirt ... there will be fewer holes requiring studs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads