• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a red blazer?

alexei

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new member here, but have been reading SF for about 3 months. I'm curious of your opinions on what to wear (e.g. color of slacks, tie, and shirt) with a red cashmere blazer. It's a bit of a dark red, but not too dark. I took a picture, but it did not come out well.

Specifically, I want to wear it to a nice dinner or concert. Anyway, I'm afraid if I go with a white shirt & black tie it will look like I'm an usher or maybe in a private school. A black shirt makes it look like I'm in the mafia. I tried a grey shirt, but it didn't look very good. I need some ideas...
bored.gif

Thanks,
Alexei

pkincy

Reaction score
Charcoal grey trousers, white shirt, and deep primary colors tie. Say blue predominantly with some red and other colors.

I have a blood red bamboo Isaia that I wear with one of several sport/dress shirts. All the shirts have white, blue as the predominant colors with a touch of red.

It also works with a charcoal grey silk turtleneck.

Perry

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red is a powerful color, so you'd do best to make the jacket the focal point of your outfit.

As previously suggested, wear monotone colors for the rest of the outfit - charcoal slacks, black (maybe even dark brown) shoes, a white shirt, and a dark muted tie.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
white or light blue shirt. Light blue stripes is fine as well.
Trousers could be charcoal, navy or black. As for ties, you can't go wrong with a navy blue tie.

!luc

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say, red, yellow, green etc blazers all sort of smack of the uniform of a real estate agent.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take a stab. I think given that the jacket is a dark red, charcoal may be a tad too dark. I'd go with light gray slacks and a light blue shirt. I personally wouldn't wear a tie, but if I had to, I'd go for something in navy.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try a white dress shirt with an open collar and slacks with dark tan or copper in them.

Niels

Reaction score
Try trousers in a contrasting colour like green. Maybe the shirt should be more discrete like ligth blue and a tie in ligth red/violet, may a pastel colour.

Definitely brown shoes

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The red&green combination - doesn't it sound like some kind of strange uniform? For fox-hunting or something like that?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should reconsider wearing a bright red blazer to a nice dinner. And concert can mean widely differning situations. Sure, wear it to the Kiss concert. I wouldn't wear it to something given by the orchestra.

Wear it to the football tailgating party.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a russet jacket that I tend to combine with charcoal greys, browns, creams/beige, golds and other autumnal colours. However, there's a difference between russet and bright red!
wink.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as ties, I'd go for a navy or black grenadine, or perhaps even a knit (depends on the specifics of the jacket.)

seanandnik

Reaction score
I have a very nice 100% linen summer sportcoat in a light red color and I have only wore it once with light jeans and a creme colored polo shirt. I never think anything looks good with it so a great jacket never gets worn.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads