Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What to wear with a red blazer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alexei, Aug 28, 2006.

1. alexei

alexei Senior Member

Hi guys, I'm a new member here, but have been reading SF for about 3 months. I'm curious of your opinions on what to wear (e.g. color of slacks, tie, and shirt) with a red cashmere blazer. It's a bit of a dark red, but not too dark. I took a picture, but it did not come out well.

Specifically, I want to wear it to a nice dinner or concert. Anyway, I'm afraid if I go with a white shirt & black tie it will look like I'm an usher or maybe in a private school. A black shirt makes it look like I'm in the mafia. I tried a grey shirt, but it didn't look very good. I need some ideas... [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Alexei

2. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

Charcoal grey trousers, white shirt, and deep primary colors tie. Say blue predominantly with some red and other colors.

I have a blood red bamboo Isaia that I wear with one of several sport/dress shirts. All the shirts have white, blue as the predominant colors with a touch of red.

It also works with a charcoal grey silk turtleneck.

Perry

3. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Red is a powerful color, so you'd do best to make the jacket the focal point of your outfit.

As previously suggested, wear monotone colors for the rest of the outfit - charcoal slacks, black (maybe even dark brown) shoes, a white shirt, and a dark muted tie.

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

white or light blue shirt. Light blue stripes is fine as well.
    Trousers could be charcoal, navy or black. As for ties, you can't go wrong with a navy blue tie.

!luc

5. saint

saint Distinguished Member

Hard to say, red, yellow, green etc blazers all sort of smack of the uniform of a real estate agent.

6. Master Shake

Master Shake Distinguished Member

I'll take a stab. I think given that the jacket is a dark red, charcoal may be a tad too dark. I'd go with light gray slacks and a light blue shirt. I personally wouldn't wear a tie, but if I had to, I'd go for something in navy.

7. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

I would try a white dress shirt with an open collar and slacks with dark tan or copper in them.

8. Niels

Niels Well-Known Member

Try trousers in a contrasting colour like green. Maybe the shirt should be more discrete like ligth blue and a tie in ligth red/violet, may a pastel colour.

Definitely brown shoes

9. epa

epa Distinguished Member

The red&green combination - doesn't it sound like some kind of strange uniform? For fox-hunting or something like that?

10. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

I think you should reconsider wearing a bright red blazer to a nice dinner. And concert can mean widely differning situations. Sure, wear it to the Kiss concert. I wouldn't wear it to something given by the orchestra.

Wear it to the football tailgating party.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

I have a russet jacket that I tend to combine with charcoal greys, browns, creams/beige, golds and other autumnal colours. However, there's a difference between russet and bright red! [​IMG]

13. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

As far as ties, I'd go for a navy or black grenadine, or perhaps even a knit (depends on the specifics of the jacket.)

14. seanandnik

seanandnik Senior Member

I have a very nice 100% linen summer sportcoat in a light red color and I have only wore it once with light jeans and a creme colored polo shirt. I never think anything looks good with it so a great jacket never gets worn.....

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Wear a light color shirt but better yet try a light color fine knit sweater.