Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What to wear with a navy blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, May 31, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Next Sunday I'm attending my sister's high school graduation ceremony. When I graduated, I noticed that the attendees wore anything from denim shorts and a t-shirt to full suits, with the majority of people wearing jeans and a t-shirt or a shirt and khakis.

I want to put some of my nice clothes to use, so I am planning on wearing a navy high-stance three button jacket (with only the middle button done - the lapel has such a gorgeous roll.) from Jil Sander. I'd pair this with a striped dress shirt, no tie.

I need suggestions for the color of pants to wear. I was considering a more casual look - untucking the dress shirt (I'd wear one that isn't too long) and wearing some semi-distressed PDC jeans. I'm leaning more towards standard slacks, though. Would medium gray flat-front slacks be acceptable with a navy jacket? I know that tan trousers are pretty standard fare with navy blazers, but I don't want to look like I just left prep school. Any other suggestions?

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I'd say a terrific pair of jeans would look great... it's actually a tougher decision than I thought [​IMG]

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Gray and khaki can make you look like you just left prep school...

Jeans look hipper.

Perhaps even try a bright stripe, tucked in, with a whimsically matching tie...

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Great advice guys.

At first I thought the shirt tucked into jeans and worn with a tie would give me the 'Seinfeld' look, but I think it would work. However, I'll switch the tie for a nice vintage-style belt.

Now, as far as shoes, would you recommend wearing a pair of black trainers, a pair of cream trainers with red accents, or a pair of Ferragamo slip-ons with the horseshoe hardware?