• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a dark navy pinstripe suit?

glowell222

Reaction score
With a navy suit, I like to go with a plain, darker tie and a vibrant shirt. Black, oxblood, or brown shoes, depending on the rotation. I think navy with brown shoes is pretty easy to pull off, as long as you keep the tie or the shirt at about the same level as the shoes, but not both.

windrunner

Reaction score
This guy has a pretty good blue suit-brown shoes style going...whoever he may be
worship.gif

Mr Chu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Never wear black shoes with navy, only brown.

I have been told the opposite. Both rules are equally silly. If you're appearing in Court, or attending an important (and conservative) meeting, consider black shoes. If you're not, consider brown.

A navy suit is one of the basics, and is wearable with most decent shirt and tie combinations. That said, I haven't been brave enough to try pairing a navy suit with a navy or black tie yet...

I don't see why a white shirt and a navy tie with a navy suit wouldn't look good.

Last edited:

Stiva

Reaction score
So far as shoes and navy suits are concerned, we are dealing with the often noted difference between English practices on the one hand, and American and Italian sensibilities on the other hand. In England (and generally in Australia), the conventions of conservative business dress dictate black shoes with navy suits. In the US and Italy, brown, oxblood and burgundy are acceptable and even preferred. Even allowing for these different approaches, navy suits require a dark shoe - whether black, dark brown, espresso, ebony or deep burgundy. Light brown, tan and cognac shoes with a navy suit scream spiv, gigolo or parvenu.

So far as white shirts and navy suits are concerned, the tie choices suggested by Manton in the following post are both correct and relatively foolproof.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309772/how-to-wear-a-white-shirt

That is, something in the silver, grey or black families - depending on the time of day and the occasion. Light blue ground is also a popular choice for politicians in daytime. Something to do with projecting trustworthiness and optimism. A navy tie with a navy suit risks matchy-matchy. Navy tie with grey suit good.

Hiras Fashion

Reaction score
Instead of a light blue shirt and brown tie, you can also try the navy pinstripe with a white shirt and a patterned navy tie that plays quite well with the suit's stripe color.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as colors go, you have a lot of freedom here among the standards. Shoes can be black, brown, or oxblood. You may favor obe over the other based on your environment but none of them are inherently "wrong." Shirt can be light blue or white. Tie can be brown, black, navy, charcoal... No need to reinvent the wheel here, this is a classic suit.

I would be thinking about pattern more. Since the suit has a pattern you want to avoid a similar pattern on your shirt/tie/pocket square. I'm lazy so with a pinstripe suit I always go for a plain shirt and plain tie or a tie with small dots. If you have more enthusiasm you can wear a striped shirt as long as the stripes are sufficiently different from the suit.

Stiva

Reaction score

Instead of a light blue shirt and brown tie, you can also try the navy pinstripe with a white shirt and a patterned navy tie that plays quite well with the suit's stripe color.

Advanced matchy-matchy.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
For me personally: 1) Navy Pinstripe suit (double breast with working buttons) 2) Light pink double cuff shirts 3) Red Cognac Oxford lace-up shoes 4) Blood Red socks 5) Plain burgundy tie 6) Pale pink pocket squre

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Pin stripe suits are associated with business. They look great, but ... They are out of place after hours. You'd be better off - if you have the option - wearing a different suit. Solid black or navy, white shirt (almost mandatory at night - looks better than anything else), and a solid or subtly patterned dark tie.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a few options
tumblr_mg83huqGn01rpvii5o1_500.jpg
All, I think doctorj has figured out how to wear a pinstripe suit in the three years he's owned one. Also, that, right there is a pinstripe suit with patch pockets and a pocket square that reminds me of a caterpillar's cocoon.

As to Mr. Chu's question, which bumped the thread, if the tie were a solid, it would need to match perfectly, and then the whole thing would be a little austere. I have no problem wearing a repp tie with a navy-ish ground with a navy blazer, and I guess that would work with a suit.

Armaniman64

Reaction score
Brown shoes with a navy pinstripe? You need to get yourself a subscription to GQ, or hire a woman pronto to give you fashion advice. That's a serious faux pas, on par with wearing white after labor day!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second Oxblood, which I think both goes really well with a Navy suit and jazzes things up a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads