• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to Wear with a Barbour Wax Jacket?

BroJo

Reaction score
I like Barbour wax jackets. What sort of shoes and bottoms do you think suit them best? English Country Boots seem like the obvious choice as far as footwear, but I'd like some input from you guys.

Reaction score
i've got a navy blue beaufort------a great jacket. i wear it with jeans. blundstone boots. or clarks desert treks. usually in the rain. in the woods.

auto90403

Reaction score
Why do you want to dress like the Queen of England?

'cause she's their ideal customer.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403

What the hell are you talking about?

v84

Reaction score
A Barbour is next winters "must have" for me, I picture myself wearing it with some quality japanese selvedge jeans ( sugarcane, eternal, maybe pbj005... ) with a crewneck cashmere underneath. Footwise I rekon itll be some clarks originals, any design, or something cool by timberland ( not logo-on-every-surface cool, but classic cool ), or maybe some chunky grenson boot.

A superhigh quality hoody maybe too would look good under some designs, methinks the international mmm

Barbour makes loads of cool stuff, cords, jumpers allsorts

pejsek

Reaction score
Of course it all depends on what you're trying to do.... But my best advice would be to make sure the jacket's roughed up a bit and then wear it as casually as possible (by which I mean with absolute nonchalance; not only in casual situations but as if it were the only jacket you own). The Sartorialist picture is a good illustration. One of the worst possible looks is the pristine Barbour--and I've even heard rumors of lapel pins--worn very carefully with the whole anglophile kit (cashmere sweater, bright cords, carefully shined country boots, etc.). It's a tricky line. You don't want to look like you're putting on the country squire. Even the country squire doesn't want to look like that.

And btw, what's with the recent proliferation of the term 'bottoms'?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you by any chance recently see "The Queen"?

Barbour jackets go with a lot, just avoid tshirts and sneakers. I have a fake barbour from J Crew, and I'd love to get a shorter waxed cotton jacket, like the bedale.

pejsek, a lot of online stores are using bottoms--I think it's so they don't have to have multiple categories--jeans, shorts, dress pants, casual pants... maybe it's insinuating itself into the parlance of our times?

weeks

Reaction score
During fall and winter, I wear my barbour most every single day. Here is picture from last winter

auto90403

Reaction score
Reread my post, sonny boy.

Why does anyone here at SF want to dress as though he's impersonating the Queen of England?

Because she lives in Barbour clothes when she's relaxing.

Which is why many Brits avoid Barbour like the plague.

Just saying, dude, it ain't the most fashion forward look.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would hardly call the folks here on SF "fasion forward", more often than not people here are interested in timeless styling and quality craftsmanship, which Barbour Jackets have in spades.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I would hardly call the folks here on SF "fasion forward", more often than not people here are interested in timeless styling and quality craftsmanship, which Barbour Jackets have in spades.

I'm definitely not fashion forward the way some SFers are.

But I do care how I dress.

To me, Barbour is nothing but Filson or LLBean with a much higher price.

alterion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
I'm definitely not fashion forward the way some SFers are.

But I do care how I dress.

look just shutup- please? You clearly have no idea what your talking about. I would say barbour are considered a highly respected and timeless label. If you "care about how you dress" you would do some research into the company , its background and philosophy and its style before mouthing off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads