• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to wear traveling to Italy in summer

CombatWombatEsq

Reaction score
So a recent thread about where to stay and what do to in Italy prompted me to ask what you all think about what to bring and wear while I am there with my wife.

We leave in July and return in August, staying in Rome and Florence. I have never been to Itay before but I know that it will be quite hot during this time.

We will be walking around, going to museums, eating most nights at local restaurants (with a few nights at some higher end places). I am at a loss on what to bring and wear... recently almost all of my vacations have been to places like Tanzania, Patagonia, Peru, and finland. Most of these trips were spent trekking, camping, or out on safari. This is the first real vacation we have had in recent years to shop, walk around, look at around at architecture, and eat some amazing food.

I am at a loss for what to bring with me clothes wise. I have a nice linen suit (tan) that I was thinking for the evenings, but what about shorts? I want to avoid the shorts with tennis shoes look.

Do any of you guys have a suggestion on where to start looking for some ideas? If this is the wrong forum section, I apologize. I appreciate any insight and help you can offer on what to wear in the Italian heat.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not quite, but very hot in July and August. typically mid- to high 30s. Low 40s can be common in big cities. I find Florence particularly hot, mainly due to its position and geography.

I wear linens. Shorts with a nice cut and length, linen shirts, sockless slim loafers, well-styled unfussy vintagey 'low-cut trainers' classier than the superga/allstar sector.
I personally find it too hot to wear even a suit jacket during the day time. maybe in the evening. Having said that, some marble-clad churches and museums can be nice and cool in the hot day time..
Also, it might be worth buying here and not bringing as much as you would usually. take on holiday. The summer sales start in July.

Last edited:

CombatWombatEsq

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will look for a few other nice linen pants and shirts. I thought someone told me shorts were a no no. Either way, good advice. I hear it is not only hot, but humid too.

This is good though, I can go get some more linen things. Thanks!

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOme cities much more humid than others. Mine and many others on this northern plane are particularly so.
Yes, the shorts thing might be a no-no if one is of a certain sartorial persuasion, especially in the city :eek:
I just dress for comfort...

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread - but I am also going to be in Italy during the oppressively hot summer months. Having a hard time figuring out comfortable but stylish shoes. Was thinking superga but wanted something maybe a bit classier. Any suggestions on what is a trendy/popular brand in Italy right now? Trying to do my best to avoid looking like a tourist (although, i know I'll be touristy no matter what!).

Thanks!

tuatounao

Reaction score
yes,it might be worth buying here and not bringing as much as you would usually. take on holiday. The summer sales start in July.thanks
29.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads