• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to the beach?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have plenty of durable plastic flip flops that can endure seawater and sand but I'm at a loss as to what else I should wear on an outing to the beach.

Who sells cool swim trunks? I have an ugly pair of Abercrombie & Fitch trunks that I picked up several years ago. I've heard that stretchy waistbands are no good since they are unflattering to one's waist.

What shirt should I wear? I despise Hawaiian shirts and refuse to wear tees. Maybe a linen short-sleeve button-up? But are those really any different from the dreaded NASA engineer short-sleeve shirt, other than fabric?

I do love ties. Is there a way I could wear one? I have a few vintage polyester ones that can withstand getting wet.

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
I think a tie would look kind of out of place at the beach, especially if it was hot. IMO the texture on white short sleeved linen shirts makes them look a lot better than other 'office style' short-sleeved collared shirts. I've seen some linen shirts that look pretty nice.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have plenty of durable plastic flip flops that can endure seawater and sand but I'm at a loss as to what else I should wear on an outing to the beach.

Who sells cool swim trunks? I have an ugly pair of Abercrombie & Fitch trunks that I picked up several years ago. I've heard that stretchy waistbands are no good since they are unflattering to one's waist.

What shirt should I wear? I despise Hawaiian shirts and refuse to wear tees. Maybe a linen short-sleeve button-up? But are those really any different from the dreaded NASA engineer short-sleeve shirt, other than fabric?

I do love ties. Is there a way I could wear one? I have a few vintage polyester ones that can withstand getting wet.
Why would you wear a tie with a swimsuit?

Unless you emulate the composer Saint-Saens, and wear a three-piece suit, and carry a small parasol I don't see how a tie would work.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tie at the beach would make Andre 3000 blush. Just put on a t-shirt and be dressed appropriately. Or a polo.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, that tie part was quite a bit of whimsy. Think nothing more of it as I mentioned it with little seriousness. I have a lovely vintage mesh Penguin polo in white with blue stripes that has a bit of a beach or naval look to it. I also have a set of beach towels that match said polo. I like to wear it with Sperry's but am not sure any trousers or jeans would really be appropriate for the beach, and yet I despise shorts. Are there beach-appropriate full length pants or am I without options here?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I will be wearing my Uniqlo linen-cotton jeans to any and all beach engagements this summer.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say any linen or light cotton pants.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I also like light ripstop cotton BDU pants in tan or "Early Vietnam" light green - take the thigh pockets off if you want, before washing, since they tend to bulge out and look bad.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A linen off-white "tracksuit" pants with leather flip-flops, and a cotton voile blouse. Wear it with apparent gold chain and you are ready for some hot riviera action.
crazy.gif
Another look, black tank top, white cotton sportscoat, washed denim trunks and leather flip flops.
cool.gif
I prefer the "croisière" look : white cotton duck pants, dolce loafers, and horizontally striped cream/blue tee. Might not be appropriate for the west coast
smile.gif
.luc

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I despise Hawaiian shirts
I'm horrified.
smile.gif
I love Hawaiian shirts, but I realize they're not for everyone. As far as your outfit, I think it depends on the type of beach day you're planning. If you're going there to swim, play volleyball, play football, lie out in the sun, etc., I would wear a pair of swim trunks, a tee shirt (or I guess, since it appears you don't like tee shirts, a polo shirt) and some flip flops. As for the type of swim trunks, this is one area where I've never understood why anyone would pay a lot of money. I have three pairs of trunks that I've had for ten years, and see no need to spend a lot of money on something that I would compare to workout sweats (i.e. it's utility clothing). Buy something of mid thigh length in a solid color, and you should be fine. Longer trunks (i.e. board shorts) seem to be popular right now. If you're going there for something like an evening barbeque, then perhaps a pair of bermuda shorts, linen trousers, or jeans (depending on the weather), a short sleeve camp shirt (cotton, linen, silk) or long sleeve linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and some leather flip flops, sneakers (not with the linen trousers) or perhaps boat shoes (can you say "boat shoes" in the street wear forum?). The shirt should be untucked (this will allow you to avoid the "NASA engineer" look with a camp shirt). There should be no socks. Drink beer. Talk to women (or men, if that's your thing). Enjoy.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
i dont go to the beach and make it a point not to.

but as far as hawaiian shirts, man that those are an ESSENTIAL part of my summertime suss. granted most hawaiians dont look good, and i can see why people'd be turned off to them. but a good avanti or sunsurf and yer set....vintage 40s/50s prints and the pockets are sewn on to match the fabric underneath so there is no break in the pattern.

Boogieman

Reaction score
I think esprandilles work well on the beach together with linen pants and a polo. I'd avoid wearing sneakers in sand for a number of reasons.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
granted most hawaiians dont look good, and i can see why people'd be turned off to them.

Oh, wait, you're referring to the shirt... well, that too.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think esprandilles work well on the beach together with linen pants and a polo. I'd avoid wearing sneakers in sand for a number of reasons.
I am unfamiliar with Esprandilles. I Googled for "espradilles" and only found women's shoes.

As for sneaks, agreed. Though I think boat shoes are OK since they're easily washable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads