1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What to wear to party w/ attire "Informal Winter White"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AgWagon, Jan 25, 2011.

1. AgWagon

AgWagon Member

This is exactly what it says on the invite. Would like to tap the forum for ideas.

Party hosted by a couple at their own residence. Sure to be a lovely catered affair, though thrown for no other reason than to shake off the winter blues.

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

I own a pair of off-white corduroy trousers, so I would be covered: informal and white.

I'd probably wear them with a pink shirt and navy blazer. In fact, I wore this combo to a winter dance and was called "East-coast preppy". This was sort of the look I was going for, since, like your friend, I wanted to lift the winter gloom a little by evoking summer on the yacht (I skipped the captain's hat, though, and my blazer has smoked MOP buttons rather than gold).

3. AgWagon

AgWagon Member

Thanks. Was trying to figure out white pants or white sweater (not together!). I'd have to buy said pants, which I'm not opposed to, but I assume they'd see pretty limited use.

4. JonasAberg

JonasAberg Well-Known Member

"Informal winter white" is one of those made up dress codes that doesn't really mean anything other than "wear what you want as long as you don't look like a bum and something is white"

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Thanks. Was trying to figure out white pants or white sweater (not together!). I'd have to buy said pants, which I'm not opposed to, but I assume they'd see pretty limited use.

It's possible you would be surprised. White can be useful for a fun contrast in the winter. Pick up some stone chinos (nearly white with a tan tint) or cords and call it a day. Or white jeans, which are surprisingly versatile.

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

"Informal winter white" is one of those made up dress codes that doesn't really mean anything other than "wear what you want as long as you don't look like a bum and something is white"
    +1. This is the real meaning.
    It's possible you would be surprised. White can be useful for a fun contrast in the winter. Pick up some stone chinos (nearly white with a tan tint) or cords and call it a day. Or white jeans, which are surprisingly versatile.
    I wear my off-white cords fairly often during the winter. They have alternating wide and narrow wales. One young lady told me last week "Those are the coolest cords I've ever seen!" and another had to touch them.

7. epa

epa Senior member

And off white wool pants make great combos with a lot of sport coats. Give it a try. I did, and I liked it. Mine are cashmere&wool and have a wonderful texture.