• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to Opera (NYC)

dunga

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a good lewk for the Opera in NYC. I am going in two weeks on Saturday night and while I don't think we are sitting in the best seats I plan to walk around on the staircase and promenade a lot during the intermissions (that is where the fashion looks are). Any good ideas!!

animeman05

Reaction score
Sorry, I read the thread wrong. I suppose a shirt and a tie is all that is required but if you want to a suit would impress.

artoftime

Reaction score
Unfortunately in 14 seasons at the Metropolitan (you did not specify Met or City Opera) the quality of dress has steadily declined. One sees a host of characters, ranging from derelicts in flip flops and t-shirts, to the old school Tux & gown set.
For the love of Sigfried, at least a jacket & tie!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I go to a Friday or Saturday night show, I wear a tux. If I were to go to a matinee I would go with a jacket and tie.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Alec Baldwin once several years ago, and he and I were both in a tux.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Alec Baldwin once several years ago, and he and I were both in a tux.

I hope that you checked your wallet.

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Traditionally Monday night is the big dress-up night. On most other nights, including a good chunk of premiere productions, a dark suit or very urbane blue jacket will serve you just fine.

empirestate

Reaction score
If you want to check out the fashionably dressed, plant yourself outside the orchestra level at intermission as everybody mills about. I've found that those with the highest level of sophistication in their looks tend to not be speaking English. And they make it look so damn effortless...

Suit is fine. Jacket is fine. Tie is optional.

dunga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
Unfortunately in 14 seasons at the Metropolitan (you did not specify Met or City Opera) the quality of dress has steadily declined. One sees a host of characters, ranging from derelicts in flip flops and t-shirts, to the old school Tux & gown set.
For the love of Sigfried, at least a jacket & tie!

NYC Metropolitan opera, which is the fashiony one, I thought.

Originally Posted by Concordia
Traditionally Monday night is the big dress-up night. On most other nights, including a good chunk of premiere productions, a dark suit or very urbane blue jacket will serve you just fine.
Thanks, I will try to wear something that is classic with a little bit of a twist, since I heard the staircase and lounge is very high style, which is where we will be hanging out.

Federico

Reaction score
What opera are you going to hear?
In Europe (well, I don't know if in the whole Europe) everyone is in black tie for the "prima", but for the following shows most are just in a dark suit (white shirt and black shoes included).
How do people usually dress here for operas?

wmb

Reaction score
don't wear a tux -- a suit and tie is fine.

photoguy

Reaction score
You can wear whatever you feel like wearing. I go fairly often and usually sit in the grand tier. Tuxes are a minority; mostly the NYC old money crowd. Lots of guys in suits with or without ties. Up in the cheap seats, you see a lot of people dressed very, very casually.

BTW, the Grand Tier restaurant is pretty good and tends to draw a pretty dressy crowd.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I hope that you checked your wallet.

- B

Lols, this was when I was just out of law school, so he would have gotten nothing but a driver license and a maxed out credit card.

photoguy

Reaction score
As an addendum, given the declining quality of the productions at the Met under Gelb, you might want to consider rose-colored glasses.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Black-tie if it's a premiere, or if you just feel like it.

But otherwise a suit, nothing less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads