• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to MBA graduation

scudinferno

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just curious if I should wear a suit (Navy Blue) to graduation or odd-jacket and trousers (navy jacket/ grey trousers).

Also are you suppose to wear your jacket under your gown? Or should I leave it in the car? Those things are made out of some pretty heat inducing polyester....

Thanks for the input

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just curious if I should wear a suit (Navy Blue) to graduation or odd-jacket and trousers (navy jacket/ grey trousers).

Also are you suppose to wear your jacket under your gown? Or should I leave it in the car? Those things are made out of some pretty heat inducing polyester....

Thanks for the input
You're going to be wearing a gown, and it's probably going to be piping hot outside. If you don't want to, you don't have to wear a suit at all. It's not a requirement. If you do wear a suit, leave the jacket in the car, and put on the robe.

Congratulations. What did you study?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't wear the jacket under the gown, just the shirt and tie. The gown, as a garment, predates modern tailoring, and was not intended to be worn with it. Also, you will roast.

So I'll give you the advice I always give in graduation threads: White shirt, odd trousers or khakis in gray or olive (presuming your robe is black), and a nice tie, preferably in your school colors. Black shoes.

Last edited:

scudinferno

Reaction score

You're going to be wearing a gown, and it's probably going to be piping hot outside. If you don't want to, you don't have to wear a suit at all. It's not a requirement. If you do wear a suit, leave the jacket in the car, and put on the robe.

Congratulations. What did you study?

Thanks for the input and the congrats! I am getting my MBA.

scudinferno

Reaction score

You don't wear the jacket under the gown, just the shirt and tie. The gown, as a garment, predates modern tailoring, and was not intended to be worn with it. Also, you will roast.

So I'll give you the advice I always give in graduation threads: White shirt, odd trousers or khakis in gray or olive (presuming your robe is black), and a nice tie, preferably in your school colors. Black shoes.

Thanks this is great advice...didn't really think about the dating of the cap and gown. Makes sense though

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The gown, as a garment, predates modern tailoring, and was not intended to be worn with it.

I don't think this is true. In England, people of several professions still wear gowns, and they always wear them over their suits. My father was a barrister and wore a gown to court; when he became a QC he wore a silk gown inside and outside of court; when he became a judge he wore a different silk gown in court and at ceremonies. When I was at boarding school, all of the teachers wore gowns over suits to chapel; when I went to university, the dons wore gowns for special occasions; indeed, I wore a a kind of gown for matriculation and graduation, over a suit.

I think a gown was always an overgarment.

Of course, none of this is really relevant to a 2013 MBA graduation in the USA -- I just thought I'd mention it.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

when I went to university, the dons wore gowns for special occasions; indeed, I wore a a kind of gown for matriculation and graduation, over a suit.

Also my experience. I don't think a single male member of my class worse anything other than a suit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think this is true. In England, people of several professions still wear gowns, and they always wear them over their suits. My father was a barrister and wore a gown to court; when he became a QC he wore a silk gown inside and outside of court; when he became a judge he wore a different silk gown in court and at ceremonies. When I was at boarding school, all of the teachers wore gowns over suits to chapel; when I went to university, the dons wore gowns for special occasions; indeed, I wore a a kind of gown for matriculation and graduation, over a suit.

I think a gown was always an overgarment.

Of course, none of this is really relevant to a 2013 MBA graduation in the USA -- I just thought I'd mention it.

My understanding is that barrister gowns are different, worn open in the front, while academic attire, at least in the US, is always worn closed. The barrister gown would indeed be an over-garment then, while the academic gown is not.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that barrister gowns are different, worn open in the front, while academic attire, at least in the US, is always worn closed. The barrister gown would indeed be an over-garment then, while the academic gown is not.

Incorrect, sorry. The academic gown is an overgarment, preferably worn over a suit. And only some Doctoral gowns (like those of Oxbridge) are closed. (I usually go to 2-3 university graduation ceremonies every year).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads