What to wear to jury duty?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mutant Hairs, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Mutant Hairs

Mutant Hairs Member

What's appropriate jury duty attire?

I really don't want to be selected to a jury, but I don't want to look inappropriate either.

Any advice?

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I'm not convinced that there is a dress code at jury duty anymore, at least not in Philly. At the minimum, I don't wear jeans-----but then I regret it seeing 90% of the dudes wearing jeans; valuable breaking-in time lost.

The system is broke-----dress accordingly.

3. bch

bch Senior member

What's appropriate jury duty attire?

I really don't want to be selected to a jury, but I don't want to look inappropriate either.

Any advice?

Khakis and a blazer (no tie needed) would put you at the 98th percentile among South Florida jurors.

4. marc237

marc237 Senior member

In NYC, only nudity is prohibited. As you can imagine, the range of dress varies.

I would offer that, because a jury is charged with a solemn duty, even in the context of civil litigation, but will be sitting in one location for long periods of time with unpredictable climate control, one ought to dress a) as if a attending an official funtion (business casual at worse) and b) in the more comfortable version of those clothes. I would wear treousers, sportscoat, shirt, tie, and comfortable shoes. If in a summer environment, be prepared for possibility that courthouse A/C may not be very good. Take lots of reading material.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Or a laptop. They have wi-fi now.

6. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Wi-fi works in the NYC jury rooms? My god, so little else does seem to work with the NYC Court system. Thanks for the heads-up.

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

$7.95 per day for unlimited access. Glad I got mine out of the way before heat of summer, though.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

anything more dressy than tshirt/polo and jeans/trackbottoms is too dressy for the 1st day of jury duty where you sit there for 8 hours and hope they dont call your name. Bring a magazine/book/ipod

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Comfortable clothes and an ipod. The main activity is sitting around and hoping the airconditioning is up to the job.

10. YoungFogey

YoungFogey Senior member

I always get called in the dead of summer as well in NYC.

First day of my first time, I showed up in a seersucker suit with a bowtie. I must have looked like a freak when compared with my peers. Ever since then I have worn whatever was comfortable, but not shorts. I have been called at least 3 times and have never even made it to voir dire.

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

In terms of selection likelihood, your answers to voir dire questions and overall demeanor are more important than what you are wearing, unless you go completely over the top. I've seen reasonably well-dressed people who sounded like nut cases when answering voir dire and got bounced, conversely I've seen impaneled jurors who looked like they dressed by crawling through a dirty laundry hamper and keeping what stuck to them, but sounded well-reasoned and thoughtful in answering questions. So wear whatever makes you comfortable sitting around for eight hours.

I'm often surprised at the choices attorneys make in voir dire, but the general rule is that the more extreme your answers are, the more likely someone will bounce you.

12. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Call me anachronistic, but I think of jury duty as one of the great celebrations of the civic religion, so I could never imagine going in anything other than a suit.

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Call me anachronistic, but I think of jury duty as one of the great celebrations of the civic religion, so I could never imagine going in anything other than a suit.

"Your honor, the defense would thank and ask the Court to excuse the guy in the suit."

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

"Your honor, the defense would thank and ask the Court to excuse the guy in the suit."

seriously. that is probably the best way to not get picked. and have really well shined shoes

15. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Actually - when we had this discussion before and I asked the same question, probably lost in the great crash, I think the suggestion was - if you don't want to get picked, wear a suit and tie - but if you do want to serve, wear a pair of khakis and a shirt.

It seemed counterintuitive to me, but the lawyers apparently don't want someone who looks too much like a lawyer or a business person. Criminal case, they think you'll be too law-and-order; civil case, wearing a suit signifies that you'll favor the large corporation or organization.

Of course, the important part is - I wore a nice suit and tie and was not picked for jury duty.