• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a wine and cheese reception

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The College of Business at my school is having a Wine and Cheese reception in the conference room of the dean's suite this week. The reception is at 5:00 pm and frankly I have no idea what to wear. The big problem about SoFLA is that it's all so very informal, primarily due to the heat.

Any suggestions?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Thom Brown shorts suit should do the trick.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear Swiss -- too revealing.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone with serious responses?
eh.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd avoid excellent white shirts. Wine drop stains just call for attention on white shirts. You'd probably be best with a freshly pressed shirt and well cut trousers, but who knows with these MBA types.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the point/objective/topic of the reception? I doubt that this is simply in honor of wine and cheese- is there a hosting employer or a panel/debate?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 5pm most people will wear whatever they wore to work that day.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Anyone with serious responses?
eh.gif

You can't go wrong with a pressed shirt, pants (not khakis) and nice, polished shoes.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone still do wine and cheese parties?

K

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
since its on a school day, I'd imagine most people would wear what they wore to class. Since its in the dean's office, I'd dress up a little bit, but nothing beyond a pair of khakis, loafers, and an OCBD or something like that.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
What is the point/objective/topic of the reception? I doubt that this is simply in honor of wine and cheese- is there a hosting employer or a panel/debate?

There is a guest lecturer beforehand, but it's not mandatory to attend, i.e. one can go only to the reception. I am unsure if he is a potential employer, but let's say that he is a potential employer, then what would you recommend I wear?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a guest lecturer beforehand, but it's not mandatory to attend, i.e. one can go only to the reception. I am unsure if he is a potential employer, but let's say that he is a potential employer, then what would you recommend I wear?

Wear a pressed shirt, pants (not khakis) and nice, polished shoes. Take a sportcoat/blazer with you. If you think the situation calls for the sportcoat/blazer, wear it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by mkarim
Wear a pressed shirt, pants (not khakis) and nice, polished shoes. Take a sportcoat/blazer with you. If you think the situation calls for the sportcoat/blazer, wear it.

This. Leave the jacket in a corner if you feel you're standing out too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics