• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a wedding

NMW1982

Reaction score
Hi everyone....This is another post about wedding attire. I will be attending a wedding in June. It's going to be held on a yacht sailing from NYC for the evening. I was wondering what your suggestions are for attire. I am a 23 year old guy and most people at the wedding should be in their late 20's to early 30's. The invitation said "formal attire" but everyone has different standards of formality. Thanks for your help.

cpac

Reaction score
Well the problem is knowing what is meant by formal attire. These days it could mean anything from a suit up to white-tie. But you can also ask around to others you know who are attending, and you might have some sense of who these people are and what they are likely to mean by "formal."

Without more information, I'd go in black tie to play it safe.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black tie, unless there is information to the contrary.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is New York and they can afford a yacht, it is definately black tie.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Hi everyone....This is another post about wedding attire. I will be attending a wedding in June. It's going to be held on a yacht sailing from NYC for the evening. I was wondering what your suggestions are for attire. I am a 23 year old guy and most people at the wedding should be in their late 20's to early 30's. The invitation said "formal attire" but everyone has different standards of formality. Thanks for your help.

Sweat pants and walmart brand undershirt. Definately.
tongue.gif

new obsession

Reaction score
June wedding, Yacht, "formal", tuxedo definitely. Perhaps think about a white shawl collar DJ instead of the standard black tuxedo jacket. Might be a nice twist.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Yacht, or Circle Line Cruise? Big difference. Best to check with the happy couple. "Hey, formal means a tux, right?" Too easy.

Tom

NMW1982

Reaction score
The invitation made no mention of black tie. It is a yacht sailing from NYC. Also the bride and groom are both Harvard Business School grads. However, they're both incredibly laid back, and most of their friends and family members are the same way. I am at a loss as to what to wear. Everyone says it's not bad to look too stylish. But I certainly don't want to steal the groom's thunder if you know what I mean. I also do not like to stand out too much from the crowd.

cpac

Reaction score
The invitation made no mention of black tie. It is a yacht sailing from NYC. Also the bride and groom are both Harvard Business School grads. However, they're both incredibly laid back, and most of their friends and family members are the same way. I am at a loss as to what to wear. Everyone says it's not bad to look too stylish. But I certainly don't want to steal the groom's thunder if you know what I mean. I also do not like to stand out too much from the crowd.

The invitation read "formal" which means black-tie. But, as we've said before, if you think that's unlikely, no harm in sending a quick email or making a quick phone call to find out.

At the very least though, you're going to need a nice suit.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
These days it could mean anything from a suit up to white-tie.
Almost nobody wears a white tie anymore, you know that
tounge.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stuttjukken
... a classic black suit (white shirt, black tie).

Do we need to re-open this one?
devil.gif

Mentos

Reaction score
While everyone might have different standards of formality in the abstract, weddings are the last bastion of "yes means yes and formal means a tuxedo." This is all the more true in NYC, on a boat, in high wedding season. They would have said "Formal attire optional" if they wanted to dress it down a little. You may be able to pull a very dark suit because you're young, but no one will fault you for interpreting formal attire to require a tuxedo, and I suspect that all men of a certain age will be in one.

As an aside, I don't think you ever need to worry about upstaging the groom. Upstaging the bride, however, is done at the risk of ending up in the Hudson.

darkoak

Reaction score

I'd say tux then. HBS has these balls all the time where you wear tuxes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads