• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a wedding?

steadyearnest

Reaction score
I am 23 and need to attend the wedding of a friend from college. She is getting married in sunny Sarasota, FL and is my age. What is appropriate for this? Being that it is spring time do I need a light jacket? Do I need a full on suit or can I get away with a blazer? Thanks.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give us a bit more information...is the wedding on a beach? At a formal, elegant hotel? Is this a couple that is in high society or some crazy kids having a quickie wedding followed by beer and nachos? Also, time of day?

cpac

Reaction score
most importantly, was there any indication of the expected attire included with the invitation?

steadyearnest

Reaction score
It is during the late afternoon at a church (family is Catholic, Italian). The reception is at a nice restraunt with a courtyard that will have dancing and the like. There certainly won't be any beer in cans or donuts, but it will also be attended by many young people (we went to a school where people often don't wear shoes; not that either of us fit that profile). Sarasota will be very hot in the end of May. The restraunt is in a downtown area that is surrounded mostly by small shops and expensive condos.

Millerp

Reaction score
A safe preppy look at your age would be

Light weight SB (2 or 3 button) navy blazer
khaki colored trousers
White pinpoint cotton button down collar shirt
Striped repp tie
Brown penny loafers

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
A safe preppy look at your age would be

Light weight SB (2 or 3 button) navy blazer
khaki colored trousers
White pinpoint cotton button down collar shirt
Striped repp tie
Brown penny loafers

I agree. If you wear business colors it sounds like you'll have sweated through your suit by the time you get there. Although if you work in an industry that requires you to wear a suit, you might look into getting a light-colored suit in a summer-weight fabric, perhaps a light tan or grey plaid that will give you a bit more flexibility than The Official Preppy Uniform.

cpac

Reaction score
You definitely need a blazer or jacket of some sort, though I don't think a suit is absolutely required (though it wouldn't be out of place either).

Spring in warm parts of florida invites all kinds of fun linen or poplin options...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steadyearnest
There certainly won't be any beer in cans or donuts...

Simpsons_Donuts-01.jpg

steadyearnest

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. Now I just have to get some new trousers (I lost some weight this year).

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you elect to dress in the blue blazer, consider getting the trousers in some tropical weight wool. The khaki suggestion is OK, I guess, however, I would recommend the light grey with the navy. And wool, not cotton.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I agree. If you wear business colors it sounds like you'll have sweated through your suit by the time you get there. Although if you work in an industry that requires you to wear a suit, you might look into getting a light-colored suit in a summer-weight fabric, perhaps a light tan or grey plaid that will give you a bit more flexibility than The Official Preppy Uniform.
This.

Tropical wool glen plaid or light tan suit.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lightweight underwear - silk or silk-weight cotton - will help with the suit-in-hot-weather problem.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Lightweight underwear - silk or silk-weight cotton - will help with the suit-in-hot-weather problem.

Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman. Silk, though light is not very breathable. Thus making it a rather poor choice for use under a suit in the summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads