1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What to wear to a wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by steadyearnest, Apr 4, 2006.

1. steadyearnest

steadyearnest Member

I am 23 and need to attend the wedding of a friend from college. She is getting married in sunny Sarasota, FL and is my age. What is appropriate for this? Being that it is spring time do I need a light jacket? Do I need a full on suit or can I get away with a blazer? Thanks.

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Distinguished Member

Give us a bit more information...is the wedding on a beach? At a formal, elegant hotel? Is this a couple that is in high society or some crazy kids having a quickie wedding followed by beer and nachos? Also, time of day?

3. cpac

cpac Senior Member

most importantly, was there any indication of the expected attire included with the invitation?

4. steadyearnest

steadyearnest Member

It is during the late afternoon at a church (family is Catholic, Italian). The reception is at a nice restraunt with a courtyard that will have dancing and the like. There certainly won't be any beer in cans or donuts, but it will also be attended by many young people (we went to a school where people often don't wear shoes; not that either of us fit that profile). Sarasota will be very hot in the end of May. The restraunt is in a downtown area that is surrounded mostly by small shops and expensive condos.

5. steadyearnest

steadyearnest Member

6. Millerp

Millerp Senior Member

A safe preppy look at your age would be

Light weight SB (2 or 3 button) navy blazer
    khaki colored trousers
    White pinpoint cotton button down collar shirt
    Striped repp tie
    Brown penny loafers

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Distinguished Member

A safe preppy look at your age would be

Light weight SB (2 or 3 button) navy blazer
    khaki colored trousers
    White pinpoint cotton button down collar shirt
    Striped repp tie
    Brown penny loafers

I agree. If you wear business colors it sounds like you'll have sweated through your suit by the time you get there. Although if you work in an industry that requires you to wear a suit, you might look into getting a light-colored suit in a summer-weight fabric, perhaps a light tan or grey plaid that will give you a bit more flexibility than The Official Preppy Uniform.

8. cpac

cpac Senior Member

You definitely need a blazer or jacket of some sort, though I don't think a suit is absolutely required (though it wouldn't be out of place either).

Spring in warm parts of florida invites all kinds of fun linen or poplin options...

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

There certainly won't be any beer in cans or donuts...

[​IMG]

10. steadyearnest

steadyearnest Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. Now I just have to get some new trousers (I lost some weight this year).

11. alflauren

alflauren Senior Member

12. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

If you elect to dress in the blue blazer, consider getting the trousers in some tropical weight wool. The khaki suggestion is OK, I guess, however, I would recommend the light grey with the navy. And wool, not cotton.

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I agree. If you wear business colors it sounds like you'll have sweated through your suit by the time you get there. Although if you work in an industry that requires you to wear a suit, you might look into getting a light-colored suit in a summer-weight fabric, perhaps a light tan or grey plaid that will give you a bit more flexibility than The Official Preppy Uniform.
    This.

Tropical wool glen plaid or light tan suit.

14. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

Lightweight underwear - silk or silk-weight cotton - will help with the suit-in-hot-weather problem.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

Lightweight underwear - silk or silk-weight cotton - will help with the suit-in-hot-weather problem.

Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman. Silk, though light is not very breathable. Thus making it a rather poor choice for use under a suit in the summer.