What to wear to a nightclub

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by terminat, Sep 7, 2006.

1. terminat

terminat Active Member

Okay, I know that many upmarket nightclubs require you to wear smart casual clothing etc. but what about your average, slightly run-down nightclub? Would it be acceptable to wear designer jeans with tennis shoes, with a white t-shirt and a casual jacket? (Remembering that this nightclub in particular is not at all upmarket, and is often used by students) I just don't want to turn up and get turned away by bouncers lol. What's your guys experience been on this? Thanks

2. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

I have been to a few clubs. They key is accessories. This is not the kind of environemnt to wear a full suit and tie. It IS the kind of environment to dress smart, and to dress casual. Honestly, I would wear some sort of jeans and blazer combination. Mix it up though; wear french cuff shirts and use cuff links. Pick interesting shirts that most won't have. I realise this may be a relatively vague answer, but I've found mixing your own personal style in with a casual foundations can work wonders. But then you have to ask, what is your goal? Are you trying to impress the ladies? Or are you just wanting to stand out from the rest?

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

you'd get by and even stand out with a nice sportscoat or casual jacket, shirt, dark-hued denims and perhaps boots.

hey, mr chapel! you dissed professor charles xavier for alfie!

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

Clean shirt, new shoes
    Silk suit,black tie,
    gold watch, diamond ring,
    And cufflinks, stick pin

when you step out you're gonna do them in.

Top coat, top hat,
    I don't worry coz my wallet's fat.
    Black shades, white gloves,
    lookin' sharp and lookin' for love.

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
    coz' every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

5. stach

stach Senior member

If it's a dive try to avoid gang colors.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Clean shirt, new shoes
    Silk suit,black tie,
    gold watch, diamond ring,
    And cufflinks, stick pin

when you step out you're gonna do them in.

Top coat, top hat,
    I don't worry coz my wallet's fat.
    Black shades, white gloves,
    lookin' sharp and lookin' for love.

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
    coz' every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

I find a 3 foot long white beard also works wonders.

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

If your goal is to GET IN and not be turned away by the bouncer, bring girls, the more the better. Then it doesn't matter what you wear.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

If your goal is to GET IN and not be turned away by the bouncer, bring girls, the more the better. Then it doesn't matter what you wear.

Give the bouncer $20 dollars when you shake his hand, you'll get in wearing anything you want. Money talks. Chicago its almost customary to tip and as for favors.

9. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

I ended up, completely unplanned, in a rather pretentiously "hip" nightclub once in a 3 piece tweed suit.

An absolute honey came up to me, and starting asking questions about my manner of dress, and was all over me telling me I was "fabulous" and "the best dressed man there!" If I had been single I would have been "well in".

I was bloody roasting though!

10. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Okay, I know that many upmarket nightclubs require you to wear smart casual clothing etc. but what about your average, slightly run-down nightclub? Would it be acceptable to wear designer jeans with tennis shoes, with a white t-shirt and a casual jacket? (Remembering that this nightclub in particular is not at all upmarket, and is often used by students) I just don't want to turn up and get turned away by bouncers lol. What's your guys experience been on this? Thanks

Just don't wear white tennis shoes and I think you'd be fine with this outfit.

The only other thing to bear in mind with the white t-shirt is that a lot of nightclubs have blacklights and with a white t-shirt you might walk around glowing like an alien [​IMG]

A lot of dealing with bouncers has to do with attitude. If you walk up with the expectation that you could get turned away, it's more likely to happen. If you adopt the attitude that you belong in the club and that the bouncers are to keep other people away, you stand a much better chance.

I have had ropes lifted, waved past lines, and let into VIP numerous times just by going with the right mind-set. It really didn't matter too much what I've been wearing. And like Nonk, there have been times where I was dressed completely inappropriately for the club I was in - yet if you carry it right, it doesn't matter.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

why pay extra to get in? dont want to be remembered as the only one not good enough to get in so i had to pay extra?

i like lees method. bring beautiful girls. at least the extra money would be spent on them.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

It's like that Arctic Monkeys song "From the Ritz to the Rubble."