• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a high school formal?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, JB I forgot to add, get a date for this shindig, man.
Easier said than done, mate
smile.gif
No seriously I will probably ask my work friend.

White dinner jacket and a white bow tie.
I am actually considering this, hopefully I won't look like Colonel Sanders but it is worth a shot.

JB

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
yeah, actually Connemara is right, even when I had my Prom the most formal people actually dressed was Shirt, Slacks, Tie, (jacket not required), and polishable shoes. I went full (modified) tux, as I was in full Raver mode back in those days the plain tux was too "constricting" for my liking. So to fix that I had my pants well... flared out with white fur, the cuff opening is IIRC 60+in around with a 4" fur strip following the natural shape of the pants till the knee where it flared out. It was wild and I, in retrospect, ended up looking more like a pimp than I think I ever could have. I got plenty of Stares as well as "That is Awesome!" high-fives and stuff.
Dont have the pictures from the prom any more (went in a big box of **** from an ex, straight to the trash) but I still have the pants kicking around in a box somewhere.

haha... reminds me of the prom i went to... raved out with my school chorus tux, adidas visor, white shell toes, and a couple hits of good acid.

i went outside to smoke a cig and they wouldnt let me in because they thought i had been drinking. i convinced them i hadnt, and somehow made it back in.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
haha... reminds me of the prom i went to... raved out with my school chorus tux, adidas visor, white shell toes, and a couple hits of good acid.

i went outside to smoke a cig and they wouldnt let me in because they thought i had been drinking. i convinced them i hadnt, and somehow made it back in.

Awesome, Man!

mizanation

Reaction score
whatever you wear, you will regret it 10 years from now.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont regret it... i dont remember enough of it to regret it.

migo

Reaction score
speaking of which...i was just looking at my prom pics (from 3 years ago)

lets just say the tux fit kind of made me want to disown myself. I do remember I was the only one wearing a bow tie though. but it was the same color as my vest...i don't know what to say about myself.

anyway...OP...get a date, wear something decent, take a lot of pics, have a good time and you'll never regret it.

Hanseat

Reaction score
My Prom attire (3 yrs. ago):

I think I did pretty well, but only now noticed that the coat had notch lapels (who even makes something like that?) and the pants only one stripe running down, plus I'd probably get it a number bigger today. I wore my own shoes, so excuse that- I didn't want to wear the rental crap. And yes, I did see enough action that night- the sophisticated european was my thing...
devil.gif

Btw. I'll be getting my very own white tie attire this summer for a formal.
inlove.gif

To get back to the question- if you can pull it off then for god's sake go with black tie. The safest bet really is to ask around though, there'll be a consensus among you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads