• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to wear to a formal?

lsxscoob

Reaction score
I've been asked by this girl to be her date to her sorority's formal and I'm a little unsure which suit/suit combo to wear. Here are the two ideas I've come up with.

1) light gray suit with purple gingham shirt, black tie, black belt, black cap toes. (Un sure on socks)

2) Navy suit with a white shirt a fuschia/berry colored tie and cognac colored wing tip shoes.

Any input would be great. Also open to other ideas you guys think would work wonderfully. Thanks!!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the dark suit but ask her what she would expect other men to wear, surely she has been before?

lsxscoob

Reaction score
I asked her and she said she doesn't really care. I have a black suit as well but I just wanted to stand out a little more. Obviously not to try to out do her (not like I could) but also to show her that I actually cared that she thought to ask me to be her date.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I asked her and she said she doesn't really care. I have a black suit as well but I just wanted to stand out a little more. Obviously not to try to out do her (not like I could) but also to show her that I actually cared that she thought to ask me to be her date.

You won't find a lot of love for trying to "stand out" around here. Simple elegance is very underrated, even in college. A white shirt is best with a black tie or a tie in some shade of blue or some shade of grey. Make sure the clothes fit, shave / groom yourself appropriately before the event, etc. Most importantly, have fun.

Wear the navy suit, white shirt, black tie, black belt, black cap toes.

+1

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Well I am starting to like the idea of the navy with black tie/belt/shoes. Would it be safe to wear a stainless watch with black face? Or would you guys recommend something else?

lsxscoob

Reaction score
I appreciate the help. Can't wait to get more sound advice from the pros!

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Personally I prefer no watch. But if your watch is reasonably slim and simple it's fine.
I guess I also forgot to ask, if I do the Navy Suit with black tie, black shoes, black belt. What color socks would be needed? Also would you recommend a pocket square? Color?

You guys are awesome. Thanks!

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
I never wear watches to things like this. Do you have somewhere else you need to be? Who cares what time it is, just have fun.

Also, don't use gimmicky **** to stand out. When you're wearing the right clothes, you'll stick out in a good way without being obnoxious

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Never really thought about the option to not wear a watch, but when you put it that way it sounds like a pretty good reason not to. Again, much thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads