• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a "business casual" job interview

southbound35

Reaction score
I currently work in banking and wear a suit/tie Monday-Thursday and dress pants/company-logo shirt on Friday.

Tomorrow, I have an interview for a company whose dress code is "business casual". Since the interview is on Friday, I assume the staff there will be dressed down somewhat.

Any suggestions on what to wear?

hughjoen

Reaction score
Full business attire (Dark suit, tie, clean shirt, polished shoe, etc.). Even though, company might be business casual, you should dress up for interview.
Good Luck.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ditto - business casual is a trap on a job interview.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hughjoen
Full business attire (Dark suit, tie, clean shirt, polished shoe, etc.). Even though, company might be business casual, you should dress up for interview.
Good Luck.

yup seconded or thirded or whatever we are up to motion carried.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hughjoen
Good Luck.

Fourthed!

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is an interview at another firm in the banking industry, then I agree with everyone else and wear the suit and tie.

If you are interviewing out of the industry you might have some more freedom. For example, I work in sales in the fashion industry. I am currently negotiating with a new company for a sales management position. I did not wear a suit and tie to any of my interviews and it obviously hasn't been an issue. In fact if I had worn a suit and tie I actually think it would have hurt my chances.

So I guess what I am saying is, if you know what appropriate business casual attire is for the company you are interviewing with then I think you can wear it on the interview, if you don't (and by asking the question you've addmitted you do not) then stick with the suit and tie.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with wearing the suit/tie for the interview as well - need to look professional (assuming you're lateralling over into a similar industry). Even though the employees at the office you're interviewing at are dressed business casual, they have the job there, you don't. I don't think it matters if you're dressed up more than they are. They understand you're interviewing, and if you dressed up business casual to be more inline with them, they could always think, "Who does he think he is?"

Besides, doesn't being in a suit make you feel more confident and more yourself considering you wear it a majority of the time anyway?

neal9099

Reaction score
Wear a solid-colored, conservative suit, a long-sleeved shirt that matches well with the suit and a professional tie.Your hair should be professional and well-groomed.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have an informal meeting with a recruiter from a consulting firm (booz&co, if it matters) and the dress is "business casual." it's a lunch meeting and there will be other prospects.

i'm in college.

what the **** does that mean?

counselor suggest i wear a a suit with no tie, but tbh i dont think that sounds good.

Staggerlee

Reaction score
I haven't been on a real job interview in almost 10 years. My job switches have all been as part of a team, so no interviews were required. Do people still carry their resumes in those leather portfolios? I heard some 20-somethings recently talking about taking thumb drives on interviews and laughing about someone they saw with a portfolio. I thought maybe the interviewing environment has changed.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME the padfolio is still popular.

Edgar Allan Pwn

Reaction score
The answer is always "a suit". It doesn't matter if it's Casual Friday or Hawaiin Shirt Monday or Birthday-Suit Wednesday; a professional-looking suit.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Suit sounds good if that's what you think those people wear the rest of the week. If the industry is more informal, you might skip the suit and go a little more relaxed. I work in advertising so a lot of my interviews are nice jeans, polished shoes, and a dress shirt.

Also depends on where you live. NY/DC will be more formal across the board. Here in Seattle wearing a suit would be overkill in many business situations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics