• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear this SC with?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing it with dark navy trousers. I thought this tie with those same trousers and a white shirt would be decent - don't think so anymore. What would you wear with this jacket? The color is kind of washed- it's more olive/greenish. What do you think?
cimg0512o.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post a picture of the whole jacket.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
post a picture of the whole jacket.

Done. This one is a wee bit more accurate as far as color goes.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a poster here who makes a living selling Hermes bags. He does have great style, though --
f09d8228.jpg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
...was just coming to recommend that very fit
laugh.gif

Is that not black and white?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Is that not black and white?

It is, but the principle would remain sort of the same. Your check is a bit smaller, which is good. You can handle a larger scale pattern on the shirt. Do it with a plain light blue shirt and a hunter green tie, brown tie, etc. Play the blue in the shirt as a neutral, and work in the warm tones elsewhere to compliment the jacket.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the love of god, not with navy trousers. maybe if it had a conspicuous navy stripe in the plaid

try various light and medium browns, brown shoes, dark navy or burgundy tie, off-white shirt

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
for the love of god, not with navy trousers. maybe if it had a conspicuous navy stripe in the plaid

try various light and medium browns, brown shoes, dark navy or burgundy tie, off-white shirt

I thought it had navy in it, but it looks like it might be black. I thought it looked decent enough, but perhaps that's my amateur eye. I had considered wearing it with some brown houndstooth trousers but thought it would be too many patterns.

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Nice jacket, I think Dewey is right, It would look nice if you wear it with something light brown, but I would not take the brown shoe he recommended though, I would rather go with something light black shoes, dark navy or blue tie. Just my opinion of course.
eh.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thanks for the support hans but i cannot recommend black, or even light black (?!) shoes, with brown trousers ... ever

dark brown shoes would be best for that sc ... or medium brown, esp. if you wore off-white/stone-colored pants

it is hard to tell the fabric from the picture but if it is not too suity it should work with chinos as well as wool trou

not the most versatile sc ... would be better with a stronger plaid and a conspicuous color stripe or two in that glen plaid ... med blue, navy, orange, burgundy, anything to give it more visual weight & contrast with like-value trousers

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ thanks for the support hans but i cannot recommend black, or even light black (?!) shoes, with brown trousers ... ever

dark brown shoes would be best for that sc ... or medium brown, esp. if you wore off-white/stone-colored pants

it is hard to tell the fabric from the picture but if it is not too suity it should work with chinos as well as wool trou

not the most versatile sc ... would be better with a stronger plaid and a conspicuous color stripe or two in that glen plaid ... med blue, navy, orange, burgundy, anything to give it more visual weight & contrast with like-value trousers

So definitely a no-go on the navy trousers? Maybe my eye isn't developing as I had hoped. If the checks were Navy then would it be ok? Because I thought they were navy LOL

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't ... navy and blue in tie, shirt, pocket square, socks, watch band, nosering ... all good

look at the colors chosen for the lining and the felt under the collar ... i am not saying it is a rule that such things are chosen for this reason, but in this case, those are colors i think you could use for trousers if you must wear pants that are darker than the jacket. the palette in the pattern is pretty earth tone.

i think the fact that subdued glen plaid is so dull, is why some say it is a suiting pattern.

if that is a little bit of medium blue in the pattern, a light blue shirt would help

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

Light or medium grey flannels.
Light blue shirt or light blue bengal stripe shirt
Navy, brown or green wool or knit ties.
dark brown shoes.

Thank me later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics