• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

what to wear on TV?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In San Francisco, we have rinky-dink daytime local talk shows. I will be on one of them tomorrow talking about stuff, sitting on the sofa, maybe with a mug of coffee.

What should I wear?

Our PR flack advised something casual, but nice. Like khakis. Bleh.

Advice, something casual yet nice?

Jacket, or no jacket.

I've seen people in fleece and jeans on the show.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Just be careful with patterns -- anything too tight or stripy will strobe like hell. Stick with something solid.

Nice blazer, white shirt sans tie?

AB01

Reaction score
Oversized blazer buttoned while sitting down. With USA flag lapel pin and clip-on microphone attached to your tie. Make your hair as big as possible.

That's how the pros do it, but maybe SF can reverse the trend.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you're sitting on a sofa and they're getting a full body shot, don't forget to wear an awesome socks/shoes combo.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
Oversized blazer buttoned while sitting down. With USA flag lapel pin and clip-on microphone attached to your tie. Make your hair as big as possible.

That's how the pros do it, but maybe SF can reverse the trend.

My hair is massive. With your logic, I should keep all three buttons buttoned on the jacket too, eh?

mrmax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlestonBows
Don't do it like this guy, though.
Which is why one must ALWAYS have a drink or three before going on TV. If you have any chance of being nervous, a few rounds of Scotch (in my case) would calm you right down.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
if you're sitting on a sofa and they're getting a full body shot, don't forget to wear an awesome socks/shoes combo.

This man couldn't be more right. That would be very fun

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Eye on the Bay?

AB01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
My hair is massive. With your logic, I should keep all three buttons buttoned on the jacket too, eh?

After I logged off I knew I forgot that.
Hopefully this topic gets updated with video or stills so all can see how it went.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Grey sports coat or navy blazer - patterned coats are not good for TV - either they drag too much attention, either they give a blurred image;
My favorites in shirts are ginghams or stripes, if you do not wear a tie, a button down, just to avoid the collar flapping around, blue is the safest color - because studio lights are blueish, white will make you look paler than you are;
A nice pocket square;
Very well polished shoes - you are on a couch, sitting, so they will be very visible, I'd opt for something with laces;
As I am not a good friend of the khakis, I'd opt for flannels or cords, but I am in Europe, not Cal;
The whole outfit is what image you want to project - technical, but well dressed, man of the people, etc.
The whole idea is to be at ease and to project the image of knowing what you are talking about (your host won't have, normally, the faintest idea, he/she will follow a script that was prepared by the documentarists, so it will be, a dialogue with a deaf), so it will be important to behave like a knowledgeable and at ease person, but also to stand up comparatively to other guests, past and future.
Good luck and a good show

Corinthian

Reaction score
Only the most subtle of patterns (causes strobing), avoid red (can cause the 'snow' effect), avoid high contrast (difficult to light) and if you are wearing an undershirt and no jacket make sure it's long sleved as the lighting can make it show through. If you have a tendency to sweat, make sure you wear something that will conceal it, it' get's hot under studio lighting. Most importantly make sure you look good; you mother might be watching!

Good luck. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40