• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to Wear: law school red mass, reception, bar

wjg23g

Reaction score
Quick question:

I'm a 1L and we have red mass this friday, to celebrate the start of the "legal season." The evening will be an informal dinner party, services, a reception, and then out to a bar.

I've heard wispers that a suit is too overdressed for this occasion. However, I don't have any real nice blazers. Should I wear:

1) simple navy suit & a tie
2) simple navy suit & a PS
3) blazer & nice slacks?

Thanks for your input
bigstar[1].gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if they said suit is overdressed, don't wear a suit

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wjg23g
Quick question:

I'm a 1L and we have red mass this friday, to celebrate the start of "legal season." The evening will be an informal dinner party, services, a reception, and then out to a bar.

I've heard wispers that a suit is too overdressed for this occasion. However, I don't have any real nice blazers. Should I wear:

3) blazer & nice slacks?

Thanks for your input
bigstar[1].gif

Well, if you don't have a nice blazer you are sort of stuck with the first option. You'll be fine.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
good feedback so far...
Your thread title is not very specific or clear. You might consider changing it. FYI, even though I think I guessed what you meant, "WTW" is not a well known acronym.

wjg23g

Reaction score
ok, edited the title. thanks for the replys.

Salvatore123

Reaction score
Aside from the fact that Holy Mass is a reverent event, most Red Masses usually have a visiting speaker, and include the local Ordinary (that is, bishop) in attendance. If you are a member of an older firm with a relatively large number of attorneys, this is all the more reason to "dress up".

Dressing up in a suit for the Red Mass would be no different than dressing in a suit to go to court. You would NEVER catch me wearing anything other than a suit in court. Then again, I am pretty old fashioned when it comes to dress, Mass, and court appearances.

My simple advice - wear a suit. No one will ask why you are wearing a suit. If you dress very conservatively (dark suit - navy or charcoal), dark shoes, white shirt, and a linen pocket square, I dare say you will probably receive some compliments.

My own "maxim": I have never seen someone who is overdressed look any where nearly as embarrassed as someone who was undressed.

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salvatore123
Aside from the fact that Holy Mass is a reverent event, most Red Masses usually have a visiting speaker, and include the local Ordinary (that is, bishop) in attendance. If you are a member of an older firm with a relatively large number of attorneys, this is all the more reason to "dress up".

Dressing up in a suit for the Red Mass would be no different than dressing in a suit to go to court. You would NEVER catch me wearing anything other than a suit in court. Then again, I am pretty old fashioned when it comes to dress, Mass, and court appearances.

My simple advice - wear a suit. No one will ask why you are wearing a suit. If you dress very conservatively (dark suit - navy or charcoal), dark shoes, white shirt, and a linen pocket square, I dare say you will probably receive some compliments.

My own "maxim": I have never seen someone who is overdressed look any where nearly as embarrassed as someone who was undressed.

Need to +1 this. You're not going to offend people by overdressing, you can and probably will offend someone by underdressing. Wear the full suit, tie, PS, etc. When you get the bar, if you're overdressed just take off your jacket and roll up the shirtsleeves.

dganderson

Reaction score
I agree with the posts above me, the suit is the way to go.

x26

Reaction score
Quick question:

I'm a 1L and we have red mass this friday, to celebrate the start of the "legal season." The evening will be an informal dinner party, services, a reception, and then out to a bar.

3) blazer & nice slacks?

Thanks for your input
bigstar[1].gif

Is it a sort of "SantaMaria Celebration"??

Lowndes

Reaction score
Where do you go to law school? You make this sound like a school event.

Hazad

Reaction score
I'm a 3L and no matter what level of formality an event has been, people have worn suits. Whether it is business casual, casual, whatever, there will be kids in suits. Very few law students have any idea what business casual means and so by actually wearing business casual, you stick out as under-dressed. I made that mistake early on into law school and now I just follow the pack and wear business dress to business casual events.

I assume that this event falls into the same category, and you should not be worried at all if you wear a suit. I'd wager that more people will be in suits than business casual anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads