• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear instead of a tuxedo to prom

tatet

Reaction score
Prom is coming up soon and I was wondering if it's possible to wear anything besides a tuxedo/suit. It's not that I don't have the money to rent a tuxedo, it's that I don't really like wearing them. It's going to be extremely hot at the place where it's at and I'm probably going to be burning up in a tuxedo. It doesn't help that for some reason my face turns extremely red when I get hot/do any physical activity (dancing).

I was thinking of wearing some kind of button up black vest with a slim black tie and a white button down shirt. Then either black pants or, maybe, some nice slim black jeans. Would I look too under dressed?

Tuxedos seem boring to me considering tons of people are going to be wearing the same thing probably even from the same place, and I would like to stand out. Also, there aren't really any cool stores in my area (Memphis, TN) that I know of, but I'm going to San Francisco next week. So, if anyone has a suggestion for a place there that would sell something like this, that would help!

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, tuxedos look best. A well fitted classic tuxedo will set you apart any time, any event.

However, on the other hand, I believe that if you can't do a tuxedo well, then don't bother.

In an age where any shirt and casual sneakers will do at the dance, I don't believe that you'll be scorned or anything.

scarsunseen

Reaction score
Honestly, if you wear a classic tux(possibly with a white jacket if it is going to be hot), you will probably not be wearing the same thing as everyone else. I don't remember anyone wearing black tie correctly at my prom 10 years ago. Somehow, I don't things have improved.

My advice is this: check out this site and then see if you still feel the same way.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is only one possible alternative for a formal evening event and that is a dress suit aka white tie:

Dress_suit_c1900.jpg

For more details see here:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...574cc93f565bc0

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7058

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could wear this quite cheerfully but you would have to decide if you would look like the odd man out and feel uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by tatet
Prom is coming up soon and I was wondering if it's possible to wear anything besides a tuxedo/suit. It's not that I don't have the money to rent a tuxedo, it's that I don't really like wearing them. It's going to be extremely hot at the place where it's at and I'm probably going to be burning up in a tuxedo. It doesn't help that for some reason my face turns extremely red when I get hot/do any physical activity (dancing).

I was thinking of wearing some kind of button up black vest with a slim black tie and a white button down shirt. Then either black pants or, maybe, some nice slim black jeans. Would I look too under dressed?

Tuxedos seem boring to me considering tons of people are going to be wearing the same thing probably even from the same place, and I would like to stand out. Also, there aren't really any cool stores in my area (Memphis, TN) that I know of, but I'm going to San Francisco next week. So, if anyone has a suggestion for a place there that would sell something like this, that would help!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got to be practical.

I'll vote you the biggest douchebag if you decide to go to your prom in full dress tails.

You are a teenager, and even if wearing proper tuxedo, you will look so out of place that any intrinsic positive value in wearing a tuxedo will be outweighed by the likely ridicule you'll surely receive.

It's a prom, you want to have fun. Wear whatever makes you comfortable but still fit in. Find out what other guys are going to wear and emulate.

spoonman

Reaction score
You should really be more worried about getting some.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spoonman
You should really be more worried about getting some.

Wear something that is easy to remove when drunk.

That said, I work a dark grey suit, white shirt, and a light grey tie. And please don't wear a tie that is the same color as the girls dress.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
You've got to be practical.

I'll vote you the biggest douchebag if you decide to go to your prom in full dress tails.

You are a teenager, and even if wearing proper tuxedo, you will look so out of place that any intrinsic positive value in wearing a tuxedo will be outweighed by the likely ridicule you'll surely receive.

It's a prom, you want to have fun. Wear whatever makes you comfortable but still fit in. Find out what other guys are going to wear and emulate.

Lee, you are usually a very sensible guy, but I think you are off base on this one. Since none of these kids know the difference between a proper tuxedo and an improper one, how are they going to ridicule a young man in a proper black tie ensemble when they cannot distinguish between it and the myriad forms of eclectic costuming they will be attired in? I made good and sure my stepson went to his prom in proper black tie, and if anyone ridiculed him, her sure never mentioned it, and I'm sure he would have.

To the OP: You need not be "burning up" in a tuxedo if the fabric is sufficiently lightweight. I would assume that most formal-wear rental establishments in the Memphis area would have suitably lightweight tuxes to accommodate your climate during the prom/wedding season when they do most of their business. I would second the suggestion of a white or off-white dinner jacket.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
many times i have seen these youngsters in a restaurant or going to the prom. the ladies do look like ladies. well fitted beautiful gowns and shoes. beautiful hair and makeup. very adult.
the boys are still boys they all look like shlubs. some even in tee shirts.
they show so little respect for their date. why?

pegasus

Reaction score
Me at prom one week ago
smile.gif

Classic Blacktie

n718395767_367225_3132.jpg

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
many times i have seen these youngsters in a restaurant or going to the prom. the ladies do look like ladies. well fitted beautiful gowns and shoes. beautiful hair and makeup. very adult.
the boys are still boys they all look like shlubs. some even in tee shirts.
they show so little respect for their date. why?

Among my various occupations, I play in a swing band.

Over the years, I've had various opportunities to play for high school dances.

I would have to agree with this post. Many of the young ladies at a prom seem to be tastefully dressed--maybe their mom's help them.

Usually, 100% of the guys look really geeky. When they see a picture of themselves ten years later, they will be embarrassed.

teacha.gif
I would recommend you get a standard lightweight tuxedo, maybe with a white dinner jacket. MAKE SURE IT FITS. Don't do anything goofy, like wearing a gold bow tie or a lime green vest. Please don't wear sneakers with a suit! Resist your date's urges to pin bunches of flowers on you. Wearing a "gangster" hat is so 1980's...

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
To my prom I wore a black linen suit, semi-sheer unbuttoned red dress shirt, untucked. My date wore a beautiful red satin gown.

We consistently recieve compliments as the best dressed couple there. **** formality. Submit to the absurd rules that some people here feel obligated to abide by and you'll have every last shred of originality taken away from your style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads