• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear in Egypt

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing you need to know is that shorts are not considered proper attire there. They are considered to be underwear, and you will not see any locals wearing them. They are also considered borderline offensive at the major historic sites. You will see a lot of tourists wearing them, and the locals tolerate it, because they understand the importance of the tourism industry. But if you truly want to dress appropriately, no shorts. If you do insist on wearing shorts, they should be long, reaching to almost your knees. Yes, it's hot there in June; but that's what they wear.

I'm not as sure about sneakers; I think you can get by, but not recommended either.

Your desire to not be walking around in shorts and a t-shirt will be appreciated there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
One thing you need to know is that shorts are not considered proper attire there. They are considered to be underwear, and you will not see any locals wearing them. They are also considered borderline offensive at the major historic sites. You will see a lot of tourists wearing them, and the locals tolerate it, because they understand the importance of the tourism industry. But if you truly want to dress appropriately, no shorts. If you do insist on wearing shorts, they should be long, reaching to almost your knees. Yes, it's hot there in June; but that's what they wear.

I'm not as sure about sneakers; I think you can get by, but not recommended either.
Your desire to not be walking around in shorts and a t-shirt will be appreciated there.

HIGHLY blown out of proportion!

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score

The length of the shorts and the locals finding it intolerable is in regards to the religion of Islam. The religion says that shorts must be under the kneecap i.e. 3/4 Lengths. But seen as though you are i assume a non-muslim, it wont be a problem. In regards to sneakers, I know of no restriction.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
"Cairo. City of the living. A paradise on earth."
indianajonesraiders.jpg

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
HIGHLY blown out of proportion!
I respectfully disagree. I apologize if the tone sounded a little heavy handed; I merely meant it to be informative. No one is going to point fingers at you or deny you entry anywhere. But at the same time, if you want to be culturally sensitive, you will recognize that shorts are not considered proper attire. But it is also true that many foreigners wear shorts, so you would not stand out. Perhaps I misinterpreted the OP's question as being about what is considered polite, as opposed to what to wear to be comfortable.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. I apologize if the tone sounded a little heavy handed; I merely meant it to be informative. No one is going to point fingers at you or deny you entry anywhere. But at the same time, if you want to be culturally sensitive, you will recognize that shorts are not considered proper attire. But it is also true that many foreigners wear shorts, so you would not stand out.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the OP's question as being about what is considered polite, as opposed to what to wear to be comfortable.

I agree with you

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
khahis and tee shirts, sneakers, keens that kind of thing will work. nothing that looks military

Pretty much this. Probably want to wear some kind of hat, especially if your outside all day and are fair skinned. Shoes can pretty much be whatever you'd normally wear that are comfortable when walking around all day long and wont fall apart on you. Long pants can be just as comfortable as shorts as long as they are light enough.

I have a pair of these in khaki and the indigo. They would probably be ideal if your a fan of white pants: http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/BeachP...86725-_-387309

bmathe02

Reaction score
Back in 2008 I did a summer semester of design in Egypt- Cairo, Luxor, Aswan.
Yes it is hot there in the summer months, however it is a dry heat. Your not going to sweat just standing in the sun that said, my studio had a lot of trips (almost every day) traveling by car, overnight train, camel, boats - feluccas, and walking to various places of architectural importance. Big this is wear antiperspirant (I normally opt for deodorant myself) vs deodorant so you do get that wetness protection for those days when you know your going to have to walk. Bring a good solid pair of sunglasses, ones that do not break easily and be prepared to wear them for hours so make sure comfortable.

As for clothing chinos were perfect. Light enough were you can just roll them up at the calves of your legs when you seem fit. Shirts I wore long sleeve button downs, the casual thin flannel pattern; the ones you see every hipster wear. Again can be rolled up at the fore arms when the occasion calls for it. No under shirts lose the top few buttons for air. I did not wear any hats or head protection but I found it fun to just buy a Keffiyeh from the locals on those hot camel riding days.

Footware, something light. Timberlands are unnecessary and just plain to heavy to walk long distances in. I wore basic converse allstars (light enough where you can bring multiple colors in your luggage with out taking up much space). They are thin so you feel everything when you walk so just put in those Dr scholls soles inside and your good to go. Opt for no socks. Look like you belong.

And if you smoke its heaven over there. I mean smoke at the table during your meal at a restaurant kind of heaven.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
linen shirt with a kevlar vest underneath.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back in 2008 I did a summer semester of design in Egypt- Cairo, Luxor, Aswan.

Yes it is hot there in the summer months, however it is a dry heat. Your not going to sweat just standing in the sun that said, my studio had a lot of trips (almost every day) traveling by car, overnight train, camel, boats - feluccas, and walking to various places of architectural importance. Big this is wear antiperspirant (I normally opt for deodorant myself) vs deodorant so you do get that wetness protection for those days when you know your going to have to walk. Bring a good solid pair of sunglasses, ones that do not break easily and be prepared to wear them for hours so make sure comfortable.

As for clothing chinos were perfect. Light enough were you can just roll them up at the calves of your legs when you seem fit. Shirts I wore long sleeve button downs, the casual thin flannel pattern; the ones you see every hipster wear. Again can be rolled up at the fore arms when the occasion calls for it. No under shirts lose the top few buttons for air. I did not wear any hats or head protection but I found it fun to just buy a Keffiyeh from the locals on those hot camel riding days.

Footware, something light. Timberlands are unnecessary and just plain to heavy to walk long distances in. I wore basic converse allstars (light enough where you can bring multiple colors in your luggage with out taking up much space). They are thin so you feel everything when you walk so just put in those Dr scholls soles inside and your good to go. Opt for no socks. Look like you belong.

And if you smoke its heaven over there. I mean smoke at the table during your meal at a restaurant kind of heaven.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be in Cairo for 4 days in September for a wedding. Can't wait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads